- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 large russet potatoes, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 to 3 T 1% milk as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar/jack cheese
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat; add onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook and stir 15 minutes or until moisture has evaporated and onions are completely wilted. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook and stir for 30-40 minutes or until onions are caramelized. (If necessary, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if onions begin to stick to pan). Cut onions into one inch pieces with kitchen shears.
- Place potatoes and garlic in large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-22 minutes or until tender.
- Drain potatoes; place in large bowl and mash. Add the sour cream, milk, pepper, and remaining salt; mash until blended. Stir in caramelized onions. Transfer to a serving bowl. Drizzle with butter; sprinkle with cheese and bacon.
Light & Tasty, November 2006
Don’t miss out on a new recipe. Subscribe to Barbara Bakes by Email
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!