Maria at Two Peas and Their Pod posted a yummy looking recipe last month for Chocolate Tunnel Cake. Since I love chocolate cheesecake, I knew I would love this cake, and I did. I ate more than my fair share of this cake, but it was even more moist and tasty the next day, and the day after that.
I changed it up a little bit. I used one of my favorite chocolate cake recipes, Chocolate Pound Cake from the Chocolate Cake Mix Doctor and reduced the cream cheese to 8 oz. Here’s my version:
- 1 Chocolate Fudge cake mix with pudding in the mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- For the filling:
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 T. milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For the cake: Place the cake mix, sour cream, water, oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat 2 to 3 minutes more until combined.
- Pour 2/3 of the batter in a greased and floured 12 cup bundt pan.
- Mix together filling ingredients. Spread filling over the batter and top with remaining batter
- Bake for 45-55 minutes until the cake springs back when lightly pressed and is starting to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool on wire rack for 20 min, invert it onto a rack and cool 20 minutes more.
- For the glaze, combine the chocolate chips and milk in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture has thickened slightly, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place the cake on a serving platter and drizzle the warm glaze over it. (I usually just melt the chips with the milk in the microwave, put the glaze in a Ziploc, cut the corner and drizzle it over the cake.)
- Store cake covered in the refrigerator.
Jerri at Simply Sweet Home recently received six awards for her cute blog. I especially love her Menu Plan Monday posts which inspire me to plan my menu for the week. She graciously passed on the awards to 15 “great bloggers”, including me! Thanks Jerri I’ll display them proudly!
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!