When Kelloggs recently started selling a multi-grain Jumbo Krispies cereal that has 3 grams of fiber and only 90 calories for a one cup serving I knew I wanted to try it. I liked it better than regular Rice Krispies. I didn’t feel the need to add sugar to it, and like eating it with a sprinkle of dried cranberries mixed in.
Jumbo Krispies were recently on sale, so I stocked up. They also had a coupon on the box for $1 off a bag of marshmallows, so of course Kelloggs is hoping you’ll make Krispy Treats – which of course I did.
On the drive home from the market there was a commercial on the radio with Hans and Franz wanting to “pump you up.” So I decided I should “pump up” my Krispy Treats. I added whole almonds, dried cranberries and white chocolate.
Since the cereal has fiber and you’re getting protein from the almonds, I think they’re not a bad after school snack. And who doesn’t love a Rice Krispy Treat.
I mixed in the white chocolate chips with the cereal, but the mixture was too hot and melted them almost completely. Next time after pressing the mixture into the pan, I’ll just sprinkle the white chocolate on top and press them into the Krispy Treats.
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows (OR 4 cups miniature marshmallows)
- 6 cups Jumbo Multi-Grain Krispies cereal
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.(In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth.)
- Combine cereal, almonds and cranberries. Add cereal mix to marshmallow mixture. Stir until well coated.
- Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle white chocolate chips evenly over pan and press into the top of the Krispy Treats. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares.
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!