Daring Bakers Dobos Torta

The August 2009 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Angela of A Spoonful of Sugar and Lorraine of Not Quite Nigella. They chose the spectacular Dobos Torte based on a recipe from Rick Rodgers’ cookbook Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Caffés of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague.

Lorraine is my blogging friend and she’s a very talented cook. I knew if she was helping with the challenge it would be something really challenging! And this torte recipe definitely was challenging for me! The Dobos Torta is a five-layer sponge cake, filled with a rich chocolate buttercream and topped with thin wedges of caramel.

Deeba called it simple yet complicated. Rosa described it as laborious and nearly traumatizing. (Both of their beautiful posts cracked me up.) Somewhere along the line I underestimated how time consuming and frustrating this recipe would be.

My cake layers were thinner than I expected and I had the same rushed feeling as Deeba. Trying to spread one layer out while another layer is baking, while at the same time trying to take another layer off the parchment. My buttercream frosting started out great, but when I added the chocolate it all deflated. The one bright spot was my caramel layer which I think turned out just right!

As a Daring Baker should, I persevered to the end and put the cake together as best I could. I am not a buttercream fan, so this cake was not my favorite, but I learned a lot and best of all I got to use my new scale for measuring!

Please visit Lorraine or Angela’s for the full recipe, and be sure and check out all the amazing Dobos Tortes on the Daring Bakers’ blogroll.

Comments

Barbara this is beautiful! I have had a great time looking at all your recipes and pic’s. The Oatmeal Toffee cookie is also our favorite! I do believe that we live fairly close to one another. I started my blog for my girls as well. I’ll be back often.
    Jonna

• says

Hi Jonna! Thanks for checking out my site. So fun that we have so much in common. I’d love it if you’d visit often. I plan to spend plenty of time hanging out at Get Off Your Butt and BAKE! it’s gorgeous.

2. Jamie says

Barbara! Everyone complained but there isn't one I wouldn't happily help devour! Yours looks so fabulous! It's pretty and that cream! I say deflated or what it looks divine! Great job!

3. Aparna says

Your torte has turned out so good. I really like the thin sponge layers. Mine were a bit on the thicker side.

4. Cathy says

You're a brave one, Barbara, to take on such a project. Your tort is beautiful. I've been lucky to sample this cake in the cities in the cookbook and yours ranks right up there with the best.

I have to take a look at that cookbook.

5. Lisa says

Great job, Barbara! Your Dobos looks stunning. The cake-circle deal is something I skipped because of all of the above. Easier to just sheet pan it, and then cut out whatever shape(s) you want :) Then again, I wasn't in the mood for circles or circular cakes, this month..LOL

6. Cinnamon Girl aka Reeni♥ says

This is beautiful, Barbara! You did a great job with it – the caramel does look superb.

7. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella says

Aahh I was waiting with bated breath for yours Barbara! It looks wonderful and you got the caramel just perfect! Most people struggled with that (me included) but you didn't at all-bravo! :)

8. Kat says

Looking at your final product I would never know you had any challenges! I agree it was a lot of work, but I am still glad I attempted it and made it to the end even though I produced the leaning tower of pisa. :)

9. Anula says

Yes, taking the layers of the aper was tricky! It was a challenge for me too this month ;) Your Dobos Torte looks great – very delicious :) Cheers!

10. Jenny says

I wasn't happy with the chocolate buttercream recipe. I had to chill it before I could frost the cake, and now that mine has sat at room temperature since this morning it looks like it is melting. It still tastes good though!

Beautifully done on your end. Your layers look thin and perfect.