We’ve all heard breakfast is the most important meal of the day – it gets your metabolism going and stabilizes your blood sugar levels. Studies show if you eat a good breakfast you consume less calories during the day.
I like sugar in the morning. I’ll always choose pancakes or waffles over an omelet or scrambled eggs. So I’m always looking for more healthful breakfast recipes and this is a great pancake recipe. This pancake recipe uses whole wheat pastry flour, only 1/4 cup of oil and just 2 T. agave.
My go to pancake recipe requires you to separate the eggs and beat the egg whites and then fold them in. This recipe is so much simplier and tastes light, fluffy, and delicious. This will be my new go to pancake recipe from now on.
The Apple Cinnamon topping is a great alternative to syrup. It uses only 1/3 cup of agave, cooks up in minutes and is deliciously sweet!
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 eggs (1/2 cup egg beaters)
- 2 T. Xagave
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- Two apples, cored and sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup Xagave
- 1 t. ground cinnamon
- 2 T. corn starch
- Put all wet ingredients into a blender and blend. Add dry ingredients and blend until just slightly lumpy (about 30 seconds). Heat griddle on medium-high (400º). Grease griddle. Pour batter onto griddle when hot (about 1/4 cup at a time) and cook until bubbles form and edges dry. Turn and cook other side.
- Put apples, water, Xagave and cinnamon in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer about 5 minutes until apples soften. Mix corn starch in 1 T. water and stir until all lumps are gone. Pour corn starch mix into apple mix while stirring slowly. Stir until topping thickens and begins to bubble. If it does not thicken to desired level quickly (about 1 to 2 minutes), repeat corn starch and water step. Serve hot over pancakes and waffles.
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!