Southwest Chipotle Burgers

I’ve been MIA the last few days because I’ve been spending every spare minute working obsessively on my blog redesign! I’ve wanted to update it for a long time and when Amanda posted a link on the Food Bloggers Discussion Group to some great blogger templates, I decided to pick one and just go for it.I hope you like it!

I did make time to have my daughter and son-in-law over for dinner the other night and decided to try Our Best Bites’ Southwest Chipotle Burgers with a Chipotle-Lime Mayo. I’ve seen so many great burger posts over the summer and knew a juicy burger with a southwest kick would make everyone happy.

Sara suggested making your own hamburger buns and Frieda had posted great instructions on making rosette hamburger buns on Lovin’ from the Oven that I had been wanting. So I made homemade hamburger buns for the first time! I used the ABin5 buttermilk bread recipe that Zoe recommended for buns. I used four ounces of dough and they were the perfect size for a burger, tender and delicious, yet sturdy.

This is an easy, delicious burger recipe. It was a fun way to kick the burger up a notch. I’ve been asked to make them again soon!

Southwest Chipotle Burgers

Ingredients

Burgers:
  • 1 1/2 lb ground chuck or ground sirloin
  • 1-1/2 chipotle peppers canned in adobo sauce
  • 1 1/2 T adobo sauce (from the chipotle chili can)
  • 1/4 C grated onion
  • 1 t garlic powder
  • 1/2 t cumin
  • 1 1/2 t kosher salt
  • 1/4 t pepper
  • 4-6 good quality buns
  • 1 tomato
  • 1-2 avocado
  • lettuce
  • Optional: jack, cotija, or queso fresco cheese
  • Chipotle-Lime Mayo:
  • 1/2 C Mayo
  • 2 t lime juice
  • 1 1/2 t adobo sauce (from the canned chipotle chilis)
  • 2T chopped fresh cilantro

Directions

1. Sauce: Combine mayo, adobo sauce, lime juice and cilantro in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate. Sauce can made sauce to a day ahead of time.
  2. Crumble beef gently with your fingers into a bowl. Add the chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, grated onion, garlic powder, cumin, kosher salt, and pepper. Don't over-work, just mix it enough to distribute the ingredients. Divide into 4 patties (or 6 little ones) and place on a preheated grill, indoor grill pan, or skillet.
  3. If desired, top with cheese, during the last few minutes of grilling. When the burgers are done to your liking let them stand for 5 minutes off the grill/pan.
  4. Toast buns then spread chipotle-lime sauce generously on each side of each bun. Add burger and top with tomato slices, avocado slices, and a crisp piece of lettuce.

Notes

Recipe by Our Best Bites

Comments

1. Cathy says

Ooooh! I love love love your new blog look! Cool header and great style. Love these burgers too – it's pretty much grilling weather year round around here, and I can't wait to throw a few of these on the grill! And great to hear how well the ABin5 buttermilk bread works for the buns!

2. Juliana says

Yummie burgers…love the bun and the lime chipotle dressing, I am sure that gives an special flavor to the burgers…yummie! By the way, like your new look ;-)

3. Katherine Aucoin says

First, I really like your new blog design, very classy! Second, your burgers sound so wonderfully over the top, but the rosette buns just take them to a whole other level.

4. petite nyonya says

The burger looks great and so does your new blog look! I've been wanting to have the same type of horizontal navigation bar but never got around to figuring it out.

5. Happy cook says

We doon't get chipolet here and when hubby visited my sis in US i asked her to send few cans with him , and now i have 3 cans here , i should use them as this burger looks so so yumm.

6. colehillkitchen says

ahhhhh this all looks sooooo good!! love the new layout, but I can't eat it, so I have to admit I'm more excited about the burgers!! :-)

7. Katy ~ says

Love new look of your blog. Fresh and appealing. Thank you for sharing the link! It means so much to have a blogger share information like this. You are an absolute gem. {{Hugs}}

Burger looks yummy!

8. Bunny says

Oh my word those buns look fantastic Barbara, hopefully soon I'll have the time to do all the baking I want to! I love your new look!

9. Mariana says

Barbara: Felicitarii pt.minunatul tau blog!
    Te rog sa pui un GOOGLE-TRADUCERE !ok?
    As dori sa te trec in lista mea de preferati!OK?

Bunatati-simple.blogspot.com

10. Cinnamon Girl aka Reeni♥ says

The burgers look absolutely delicious – especially with your home-made buns! I love your new look! Fresh and clean. Looks great!

11. Megan says

Love the new look! And loving these burgers! I'm waiting for it to get cooler before I dive into my AB5 book. Plus I have to clean the oven, I kept setting off the smoke alarm when I tried the basic recipe.
    But I'm all over these burgers.

DBC 2marrow!!!

12. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella says

These look delicious but jut as delicious is your new design! Love that opening pic too! Well done Barbara! :D

13. Palidor says

I love your redesign!! Thank you for posting the link. I took a peek and they have some really neat templates! The burgers look fantastic, and I can't believe it's your first time making hamburger buns because they look perfect.