I’ve been MIA the last few days because I’ve been spending every spare minute working obsessively on my blog redesign! I’ve wanted to update it for a long time and when Amanda posted a link on the Food Bloggers Discussion Group to some great blogger templates, I decided to pick one and just go for it.I hope you like it!
I did make time to have my daughter and son-in-law over for dinner the other night and decided to try Our Best Bites’ Southwest Chipotle Burgers with a Chipotle-Lime Mayo. I’ve seen so many great burger posts over the summer and knew a juicy burger with a southwest kick would make everyone happy.
Sara suggested making your own hamburger buns and Frieda had posted great instructions on making rosette hamburger buns on Lovin’ from the Oven that I had been wanting. So I made homemade hamburger buns for the first time! I used the ABin5 buttermilk bread recipe that Zoe recommended for buns. I used four ounces of dough and they were the perfect size for a burger, tender and delicious, yet sturdy.
This is an easy, delicious burger recipe. It was a fun way to kick the burger up a notch. I’ve been asked to make them again soon!
- 1 1/2 lb ground chuck or ground sirloin
- 1-1/2 chipotle peppers canned in adobo sauce
- 1 1/2 T adobo sauce (from the chipotle chili can)
- 1/4 C grated onion
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t cumin
- 1 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1/4 t pepper
- 4-6 good quality buns
- 1 tomato
- 1-2 avocado
- Optional: jack, cotija, or queso fresco cheese
- 1/2 C Mayo
- 2 t lime juice
- 1 1/2 t adobo sauce (from the canned chipotle chilis)
- 2T chopped fresh cilantro
- Sauce: Combine mayo, adobo sauce, lime juice and cilantro in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate. Sauce can made sauce to a day ahead of time.
- Crumble beef gently with your fingers into a bowl. Add the chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, grated onion, garlic powder, cumin, kosher salt, and pepper. Don't over-work, just mix it enough to distribute the ingredients. Divide into 4 patties (or 6 little ones) and place on a preheated grill, indoor grill pan, or skillet.
- If desired, top with cheese, during the last few minutes of grilling. When the burgers are done to your liking let them stand for 5 minutes off the grill/pan.
- Toast buns then spread chipotle-lime sauce generously on each side of each bun. Add burger and top with tomato slices, avocado slices, and a crisp piece of lettuce.
Recipe by Our Best Bites