This is a very moist and delicious chocolate quick bread that my family gobbled up quickly. I would have liked a stronger chocolate flavor and next time I make this bread, I’ll add a few tablespoons of cocoa powder to up the chocolate factor. I also read that if you add a bit of red food coloring it gives chocolate bread a deeper color. I’d definitely like to give that a try next time as well.
I loved my addition of tart cherries. The original recipe adds a chocolate glaze as the third chocolate element in this bread which I didn’t add. I am sending this to Jamie, Life’s a Feast, for her Bread and Chocolate Monthly Mingle. Thanks Jamie for encouraging me to post this for the Mingle!
- 1-1/2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped dried cherries
- Ina microwave-safe bowl, melt 1 cup chocolate chips; set aside to cool. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and cooled chocolate; mix well. Add applesauce and vanilla; set aside. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix to combine. Stir in the remaining chocolate chips and cherries.
- Spoon into four greased 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks.
adapted from Taste of Home
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!