I’ve seen many different versions of sugar donut muffins on many blogs over the last few months and I’ve been wanting to make them for awhile. I’ve resisted because It’s rare that I serve donuts for breakfast. But when my sons had a sleepover, I thought it called for a special breakfast and these delightfully sweet muffins were a perfect fit.
I’m sure these muffins are much healthier for you than a deep fried donut. I used whole wheat pastry flour and add grated apple to boast the nutrition a bit. I made a double batch and they baked up light and fluffy, but had that wonderful cinnamon sugar coating that reminds you of the simple pleasure of eating a fresh, hot sugar coated donut.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
- 2 tsp baking power
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk (low fat is fine)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 small apples, grated
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a muffin tin with cooking spray or vegetable oil.
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar and egg until light in color. Add in vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add to egg mixture and stir to combine. Stir in grated apples.
- Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While muffins are baking, melt butter in a small bowl in the microwave. In another small bowl, combine remaining sugar and cinnamon.
- When muffins are done, cool for a few minutes in the muffin pan, remove from pan and dip muffin top in melted butter, then immediately dip in cinnamon sugar mixture. Cool on a wire rack.
Don’t miss out on a new recipe. Subscribe to Barbara Bakes by Email
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!