Blueberry Apple Mini Pies for Pi Day

Blueberry Apple Mini Pies

I love pie! I look forward to Pi Day every year. Pi Day has been celebrated on March 14 every year for the last 22 years. I suppose some people really care about equations and pi, but for me it’s just a good excuse to eat pie.

The inspiration for these mini pies came from a great new cookbook from Our Best Bites. I was lucky enough to attend their recent book launch at Orson Gygi. This cookbook is filled with beautiful pictures, delicious recipes and great tips; and I love that it’s spiral bound.

Our best Bites most popular blog post (included in their cookbook) is Pie in a Jar. Since I didn’t have any of the wide-mouth jars that they use in the recipe, I decided to make them in 8 oz. Pyrex custard cups. It’s so fun to have an individual pie all to yourself!

My filling is a combination of canned blueberry pie filling and apples. I love the flavor of berry pie, but adding apples gives the filling more volume and a nicer texture. Using an apple peeler/corer makes it so easy and fun to peel and core apples. I love the little apple ringlets.

These little pies were scrumptious! A fabulous way to celebrate Pi Day.

Blueberry Apple Mini Pies for Pi Day

Yield: 6 mini pies

Blueberry Apple Mini Pies for Pi Day

Ingredients

• 1 21 oz. can blueberry pie filling
  • 3 small gala apples, peeled, cored and diced
  • 2 Pie Crust Doughs (either *homemade or store bought)
  • Egg Wash:
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon milk

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425º. In a large bowl combine blueberry pie filling and diced apples.
  2. Roll pie crust dough 1/4 inch thick. Using a 4 inch biscuit cutter or round, cut 12 circles of dough. Put one circle in the bottom of each of six 8 oz. custard cups.  Use the scraps of leftover dough to completely cover the inside of the custard cup. Trim the dough even with the top of the cup.
  3. Fill the pies with blueberry apple filling.
  4. Top the filling with a circle of dough. Use a fork to seal the edges of the top dough to the bottom dough. Cut slits in the dough to allow steam to escape.  (If you'd like to cut a design in the top dough, cut it before placing it on top of the filling.)
  5. Whisk egg wash ingredients together and brush it lightly on to top crust. (You won't use all of the egg wash.)
  6. Bake at 425º for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 375º and continue baking for and additional 30 - 40 minutes until the pies are golden and bubbly.
  7. *Please see my Strawberry Pie post for my Perfect Pie Crust recipe and tips on making pie crust.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by Zip Recipes Plugin

More great Pi Day recipes:

Pi Day… How to Celebrate (without being a math whiz) from The Changeable Table
Irish Beef Hand Pies from Megan’s Cookin
Strawberry-White Chocolate Cheesecake Hand “Pi” es from Culinary Concoctions by Peabody
Chicken Pot Pie from Barbara Bakes

Comments

I think I love this post of your the most GF. It’s gorgeous in every way! What a wonderful book, and what a charming pie. Beautiful pictures too! xo

I remember reading your post a year ago on Pi day and thinking that I must remember it for this year but I’ve forgotten again! Oh well there’s always next year. Your pie looks amazing. I am partial to pie – blueberry and apple are winning flavour combinations for me :)

Never ever thought of baking mini pies in ramekins or pyrex dishes like this. They are adorable and look really delicious. Tempting! Now I want to try!

I wasn’t aware of pi day…good to know.
    After seeing your pie, all i am wishing is that you were here so i could have dug into one of those mini pies…lol

I pulled up your page and my husband promptly goes, Oh my god, why don’t you ever make pies like that? LOL I agree, these look fabulous for pi day. Ver impressive.

6. Kathy says

Dang…. we celebrated Pi day here too. I “bought” a chocolate cream pie…. yours looks waaaay better. Don’t tell the kids, they’ll want to move to Aunt Barbara’s!!!

7. Chaya says

Barbara, these are adorable. I am into minis because they are so much more fun to serve and personally, I think, they are more attractive. These are. I am sure they taste even better than they look and they look fantastic.

Barbara — I love the combination of apples and blueberries – the apples always adds a nice texture to compliment the blueberries! I’m pretty jealous right now that you’re using a can of Lucky Leaf blueberry filling! I wished Lucky Leaf was available in my area -it’s so delicious! The individual pies are beautiful and a wonderful way to celebrate Pi day!

Barbara, Your little pies are so adorable! More importantly(I think:)), I’m sure they taste great! This way I can eat a whole pie and not feel guilty:)

Oh Barbara, I love it! What a great idea to use little bowls- and that filling looks fantastic. It was so great to finally meet you in person, thanks so much for coming to our little event!

-Sara

These are adorable and delightful. I would love to have my own individual pie. And the pie in a jar is too cute. I’ll have to try that someday soon.
    Thanks for linking to me. Your such a sweetie pie! LOL

Oh my heavens! You just made two of my favourite pies into one delicious pie! I love the pie in the jar idea but have yet to get some jars to make the pies. Your idea to use these little pyrex custard cups is great.