Bacon Wrapped Cheese Hot Dogs

This is a simple, fun idea for your upcoming 4th of July weekend. I had a craving for hot dogs and since I often give in to my cravings, I starting trying to think of a delicious ways to dress up a hot dog for dinner. A bacon cheeseburger came to mind and I thought why not incorporate those flavors into a hot dog.

I almost always buy Oscar Mayer Beef Bun Length Hot Dogs. I like that they are the same length as the bun, and love that there are the same number of hot dogs as hot dog buns. (Why they all aren’t the same, I’ll never understand.)  The Sara Lee Soft & Smooth Wheat Hot Dog Buns are my favorite. There’s 2 grams of fiber in each bun and it makes me feel like my family’s eating a little better.

We were out of propane for the BBQ, so I baked the hot dogs in the oven, but these would be perfect on the grill for a 4th of July BBQ too. I served mine with mustard and ketchup, but I think they’d be great with your favorite BBQ sauce as well.

Wishing everyone a great 4th of July weekend. Any fun plans?

Bacon Wrapped Cheese Hot Dogs

Bacon Wrapped Cheese Hot Dogs

Ingredients

• 8 hot dogs
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese
  • 16 slices bacon, pre-cooked
  • 8 hot dog buns, toasted

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 450º. Slice each hot dog lengthwise down the middle almost, but not all the way through. Fill the pocket with a little shredded cheese. (I used Shredded Colby Monterey Jack.)
  2. Wrap the hot dog with two slices of thin-sliced, pre-cooked bacon. Secure bacon with toothpicks if necessary. (I used Costco Hormel frozen fully cooked bacon that I thawed in the microwave for about 30 seconds so that it was easier to wrap around the hot dogs.)
  3. Bake approximately 10 minutes until cheese is melted and bacon and hot dog are hot.

If you’re looking for more great recipes for the 4th of July weekend, Marla, Family Fresh Cooking, and Dara, Cookin’ Canuck, are hosting a Get Grillin’ event with links to hundreds to great food bloggers BBQ recipes.

Comments

1. Joan Barstad says

This is the BEST recipe I have ever seen…and I will tell you why…I have a friend that “doesn’t eat” most foods. Like..roast , fish, hamburgers, pasta….you name it, and she doesn’t like it…except hot dogs. So, when I have them over for supper, which is often…because her husband loves to fish…and loves to eat fish….so, he gives us a lot of his catch, since she won’t cook it for him either…..and we have fish for him often. And I cook her hotdogs!!!!!!

Well, now, I can make her a FANCY hotdog! She will love it! Thank You.

2. Bridget says

I have been doing something like this for years. The difference is I put a slice of pickle in that slit with the cheese,wrap with bacon and then pour your favorite bbq sauce over it(I like Open pit). My mom used to call them BBQ hotdogs. Love them!!!

3. Alyssa says

We call these ‘heavenly hotdogs’ in my family.
    And if you want to use them as a camp-fire meal, and cook them over the fire, I suggest cooking them cheese side down first (flipping it over, when cheese starts to melt and drip out), and sticking toothpicks at each end of the hotdog, to keep the bacon on. Just make sure you remember to take the toothpicks out, afterwards!
    You can also just use appropriately size-sliced cheese, instead of shredded cheese, if you’re afraid of it falling out, if you’re camp-fire cooking it.

Wondering how long I would have to cook these if I used raw bacon? Or is that not possible? Should I precook the bacon so that the dogs and cheese do not burn? I know my family will love this for football food this weekend!

• says

Thanks! I just carefully open the buns so they lay flat, spread them with a little butter and toast them under the broil for a few minutes until they’re golden. Watch them closely so they don’t burn. Enjoy!

5. Cynthia says

Oh my gosh! I grew up eating weiners with cheese wrapped in bacon. We loved them! It was really a real treat to get them! Now I’ll just add the bun! Great!

Oh wow, my husband would be in heaven if I made these for him! What a fun treat, definitely bookmarking it for sometime this summer :)

Oh why why why, Barbara? Why did you make me look at these? This has got to be my heaven and my husband would go nuts! I need one or two of these decadent babies!

OMG. This really brings back memories. I used to make these for the kids back in the 60′s, except I wrapped bread around them instead of a bun. Going to send this link…it will make them smile and perhaps they’ll make them for themselves!

those look seriously, seriously excellent – especially with the cheese. What a neat way to make sure the bacon doesn’t just fall out of the bun. I’d have a hard time preparing the bacon as I usually over-cook it (I like it extra crispy).

Barbara – This is a perfect idea for the 4th, or any day for that matter. My daughter would love this one as she loves both hot dogs and bacon. I also buy those Sara Lee buns often. Gotta sneak that fiber in when you can.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful and safe 4th!

• says

You could cook them over coals on a rack. I think it would be hard to cook them on a hot dog roaster because the cheese might fall out when you rotated the dog and you’d have to secure the bacon really well with toothpicks. It might be better to heat up the bacon on a griddle and put the bacon and the cheese in the bun and then add the roasted hot dog.

The pre-cooked bacon is fantastic for breakfast up camping too. So much less grease to worry about. Ohhhh maybe a BLT too.

Oh wow these look incredible! My boyfriend loves it when I put cheese in hotdogs and wrap them in crescent rolls but he’d just DIE if I wrapped bacon around them too!! I’m loving your site and feel free to stop by my blog and check out my first giveaway!

I’m spending the weekend in the high Unitas at a family cabin. I’m betting that I’ll be the favorite aunt by showing up with the ingredients for these. We’ll try them on the campfire!

Yeah for summer!!!!!

xxoo,

RMW

This sounds delicious – bacon, cheese and sausage together, it does not get any better:) I went through your list of cookie recipes – very comprehensive.

Now we are talkin. These look great. Simple and sooooooooo tasty. Bacon makes everything taste amazing… Oh how I want one, or two… Who am I kidding, Im starving, Ill take 3 please. :)

My husband always has cheese with his hot dogs and for the life of me, I don’t know why we have never thought to wrap bacon around them. He’d love these. Your photos are wonderful.

Thanks for posting this. I immediately remembered when I was a young girl and would make my dad cheese hot dogs. I’d slit the hotdog like that and just fold up a piece of American cheese, put in on a piece of bread and put it under the broiler. Those were the pre-microwave days…

Ah….you’ve got me craving for some hot dogs now! I will definitely make some this weekend at the BBQ! Oscar Mayer Beef dogs are my favorite too. I just love that beefy flavor! :) Thanks for sharing.

Amy

Soooo not fair to my diet!!!! You know how much I lOVE hot dogs and then to tempt me with cheese and bacon as well! You have gone too far. And I think the hot dog bun people and the hot dog people are in cahoots with each other. Maybe the dog people pay a kick back to the bun people after you buy a second pack of hot dogs to match the bun numbers. Don’t you think?

19. Isabel in Spain says

You can always learn something new… and that is just what happened when I read your post. I had made these before but without cooking the bacon first and, what a difference!! All that grease while cooking!! This new method makes it so much easier!! Thanks and enjoy your 4th of July!

Oh my. bacon and cheese goodness! I’ve seen these before but I’ve never been brave enough to try it myself. They look so delicious Barbara :)