It’s great to have taco meat in the freezer waiting to be used for a quick lunch or easy dinner. Since I was making the filling for my Chicken Emapanadas, I decided to triple the recipe so I would have plenty to freeze.
I also wanted to use frozen chicken breasts, but I wanted to use them without having to defrost them first. I was inspired by Frieda’s From Frozen to Fabulous in 12 Minutes: BBQ Chicken. Cooking them in the pressure cooker allows you to avoid defrosting and results in moist, tender, flavorful chicken. Perfect for any recipe.
I froze the taco meat in 1/2 cup portions in quart size Freezer Ziplocs. The perfect amount for one individual serving.
If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you could cook the chicken in the crockpot for 8 hours, or check out my Shredded Pork Tacos post to get a method for cooking it in the oven.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 large chicken breasts, frozen*
- 1 can (10 oz.) diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel Original)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Heat the oil in pressure cooker pot for 2 to 3 minutes. Sauté the onion until tender, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken, tomatoes, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cover and lock lid in place. Select High Pressure and 25 minutes cook time. After 25 minutes, turn off and use a quick pressure release. *If using thawed chicken breasts reduce cook time.
- Remove chicken from pressure cooker and shred. Return shredded chicken to pressure cooker pot and stir to combine with tomatoes and juice in pot.
- Select Sauté and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally until all liquid is absorbed/evaporated.
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!