It’s great to have taco meat in the freezer waiting to be used for a quick lunch or easy dinner. Since I was making the filling for my Chicken Emapanadas, I decided to triple the recipe so I would have plenty to freeze.
I also wanted to use frozen chicken breasts, but I wanted to use them without having to defrost them first. I was inspired by Frieda’s From Frozen to Fabulous in 12 Minutes: BBQ Chicken. Cooking them in the pressure cooker allows you to avoid defrosting and results in moist, tender, flavorful chicken. Perfect for any recipe.
I froze the taco meat in 1/2 cup portions in quart size Freezer Ziplocs. The perfect amount for one individual serving.
If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you could cook the chicken in the crockpot for 8 hours, or check out my Shredded Pork Tacos post to get a method for cooking it in the oven.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 large chicken breasts, frozen*
- 1 can (10 oz.) diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel Original)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Heat the oil in pressure cooker pot for 2 to 3 minutes. Sauté the onion until tender, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken, tomatoes, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cover and lock lid in place. Select High Pressure and 25 minutes cook time. After 25 minutes, turn off and use a quick pressure release. *If using thawed chicken breasts reduce cook time.
- Remove chicken from pressure cooker and shred. Return shredded chicken to pressure cooker pot and stir to combine with tomatoes and juice in pot.
- Select Sauté and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally until all liquid is absorbed/evaporated.
Don’t miss out on a new recipe. Subscribe to Barbara Bakes by Email
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!