Eating chocolate muffins for breakfast feels a little decadent, but baking them with whole wheat flour makes me feel a little better about treating my family to them. Reeni, Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice, recently posted this irresistible double chocolate muffin recipe which she adapted from King Arthur Flour.
These are big, beautiful, tender muffins. Reeni’s recipe says to divide the batter between 12 muffin cups. I was a little afraid to fill them that full and made 16 muffins instead, but when I make them again I’ll try and be braver. I also forgot to sprinkle them with coarse sugar. They are rich and chocolatey and probably don’t need the extra sugar on top, but I do love a sweet crunchy muffin top.
Bake these up next time you have a chocolate craving and be sure and visit Reeni and check out all of her delicious recipes.
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup Dutch-processed unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sour cream (not non-fat) or yogurt
- 2 cups white whole wheat or all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- coarse sugar, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together butter, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla until fluffy. Beat in eggs, then stir in milk and sour cream. Mix in flour, then chocolate chips.
- Divide batter equally between the muffin cups, they will be full. Sprinkle each muffin with a little coarse sugar if desired.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out without crumbs on it - chocolate is ok. Remove from oven, cool on wire racks 10 minutes, remove from pan to wire racks and cool completely.
Other great muffin recipes you might enjoy:
Best Blueberry Streusel Muffins, Barbara Bakes
The Best Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe, Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice
Banana Nut Muffins, Barbara Bakes
American’s Test Kitchen Blueberry Muffins, Judy’s Kitchen
Pineapple Coconut Muffins, Completely Delicious
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!