Quiche may seem like a decadent breakfast or dinner, but this version is almost guilt free. It’s loaded with fresh summer veggies. I suppose if you were really watching your weight, you could try eliminating the crust, but the crust is my favorite part of a pie.
It’s time again for the Secret Recipe Club. Amanda, at Dancing Veggies, is my secret blogger for the month. Amanda’s post Truly Scrumptious caught my eye – a scrumptious Farmers’ Market Quiche. Dancing Veggies is loaded with great, healthy veggie recipes and I definitely need to visit more often.
(Summer veggies are at their peak and so gorgeous right now. I couldn’t resist snapping pictures of the veggies on the counter.)
I decided to use zucchini instead of broccoli in this recipe because I’ve had an abundance of it in my garden. Unfortunately, when I went to pick a zucchini I didn’t have one the right size. So I called my neighbor and asked if I could borrow a zucchini. (I know many of you with gardens wish someone would call you and ask to borrow zucchini. Thanks Darlene!)
Darlene also sent me home with some sweet little orange cherry tomatoes. I already had some grape tomatoes, so I decided to use them both and sprinkle them on top of the quiche. The tomatoes were a great addition. They roasted in the oven and gave a wonderful sweetness to the quiche.
I made a couple of other changes too. I used green onions instead of red onion, freeze dried cilantro instead of fresh, and I couldn’t resist adding a little bacon and doubling the cheese.
I would have liked to have had a slice for breakfast the next day, but there wasn’t any leftovers. Thanks Amanada for sharing your scrumptious quiche recipe.
- 1 9 in crust (See my pie crust tutorial for my recipe)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk (I used 1%)
- 1/2 cup zucchini, halved and sliced
- 4 slices precooked bacon, diced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh corn, cut off the cob
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1 tablespoon freeze dried cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup assorted cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat oven to 425º. Press crust into a 9 in quiche pan, prick crust and bake for 15 minutes.
- Place cut zucchini in a strainer and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Let sit for 15 minutes to remove some of the water.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and milk. Add the zucchini, bacon, green onion, corn, cheese, cilantro, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Pour the egg mixture into the precooked crust. Sprinkle the tomatoes on top of the egg mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the center is set and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
adapted from Dancing Veggies
Each month the Secret Recipe Club members are “assigned” a participating food blogger. We choose any recipe from the assigned blog to bake/cook from, and blog about the recipe keeping the blogger a secret until posting day.
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!