Quiche may seem like a decadent breakfast or dinner, but this version is almost guilt free. It’s loaded with fresh summer veggies. I suppose if you were really watching your weight, you could try eliminating the crust, but the crust is my favorite part of a pie.
It’s time again for the Secret Recipe Club. Amanda, at Dancing Veggies, is my secret blogger for the month. Amanda’s post Truly Scrumptious caught my eye – a scrumptious Farmers’ Market Quiche. Dancing Veggies is loaded with great, healthy veggie recipes and I definitely need to visit more often.
(Summer veggies are at their peak and so gorgeous right now. I couldn’t resist snapping pictures of the veggies on the counter.)
I decided to use zucchini instead of broccoli in this recipe because I’ve had an abundance of it in my garden. Unfortunately, when I went to pick a zucchini I didn’t have one the right size. So I called my neighbor and asked if I could borrow a zucchini. (I know many of you with gardens wish someone would call you and ask to borrow zucchini. Thanks Darlene!)
Darlene also sent me home with some sweet little orange cherry tomatoes. I already had some grape tomatoes, so I decided to use them both and sprinkle them on top of the quiche. The tomatoes were a great addition. They roasted in the oven and gave a wonderful sweetness to the quiche.
I made a couple of other changes too. I used green onions instead of red onion, freeze dried cilantro instead of fresh, and I couldn’t resist adding a little bacon and doubling the cheese.
I would have liked to have had a slice for breakfast the next day, but there wasn’t any leftovers. Thanks Amanada for sharing your scrumptious quiche recipe.
- 1 9 in crust (See my pie crust tutorial for my recipe)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk (I used 1%)
- 1/2 cup zucchini, halved and sliced
- 4 slices precooked bacon, diced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh corn, cut off the cob
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1 tablespoon freeze dried cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup assorted cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat oven to 425º. Press crust into a 9 in quiche pan, prick crust and bake for 15 minutes.
- Place cut zucchini in a strainer and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Let sit for 15 minutes to remove some of the water.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and milk. Add the zucchini, bacon, green onion, corn, cheese, cilantro, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Pour the egg mixture into the precooked crust. Sprinkle the tomatoes on top of the egg mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the center is set and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
adapted from Dancing Veggies
Each month the Secret Recipe Club members are “assigned” a participating food blogger. We choose any recipe from the assigned blog to bake/cook from, and blog about the recipe keeping the blogger a secret until posting day.
Don’t miss out on a new recipe. Subscribe to Barbara Bakes by Email
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!