A tender, cakey chocolate cookie topped with a gooey peppermint marshmallow and covered with a rich, fudgy frosting.
This is a holiday version of the Martha Stewart Surprise Cookies I posted about the first year I started blogging. Katrina, Baking and Boys, posted a version with colored marshmallows that I thought was a really fun idea to dress up the Surprise Cookie for holidays.
I’d been on the look out for Christmas colored marshmallows and I stumbled on fun, new peppermint flavored swirl marshmallows. They are a flatter, jumbo marshmallow, so they cover the entire top of the cookie and you get marshmallow in every luscious bite.
These marshmallows would also be fun floating in a glass of hot chocolate, or as a hidden layer in your favorite brownies.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 30 peppermint swirl marshmallows
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 t. cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup plus 2 T. milk
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, milk, and extracts, and beat until well combined. Add reserved flour mixture; mix on low speed until combined.
- Using a tablespoon or 1 3/4-inch ice cream scoop (#40), drop dough onto ungreased baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies begin to spread and become firm, 8 to 10 minutes. (I think next time I’ll only bake them 7 minutes)
- Remove baking sheets from oven, and place a marshmallow, cut-side down, in the center of each cookie, pressing down slightly. Return to oven, and continue baking until marshmallows begins to melt, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of frosting over each marshmallow, starting in the center and continuing outward until marshmallow is covered.
- Place confectioners’ sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk in butter and cocoa powder. Add milk and vanilla, and whisk until well combined.
slightly adapted from Martha Stewart
This post is week 7 of my 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies posts. Be sure and check out all of the fabulous cookies the other 12 weeks of Christmas Cookies (and sweets) bakers baked up for this week.
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!