Flaky, light as air puff pastry shells filled with creamy vanilla ice cream and topped with sweet, sliced bananas in a hot caramelized butter and brown sugar sauce with just a touch of cinnamon.
Bananas Foster is one of New Orleans’ most famous desserts and my first trip to New Orleans would not have been complete without eating Bananas Foster at Brennan’s. My version is non-alcoholic, but at Brennan’s it’s fun to watch your waiter flame the dessert at your table.
My twist on Bananas Foster was also inspired by Katherine Martinelli’s new eBook, Puff Pastry at Brunch: 10 Sweet and Savory Recipes to Start Your Morning, and her recipe for Caramelized Banana and Whipped Cream Stacks. Katherine is a Food and Travel Writer, who I met through the Secret Recipe Club.
It’s a fun little eBook filled with easy to follow recipes and tips on using puff pastry to create luscious puff pastry recipes for brunch. It’s available for $2.99 at the Amazon Kindle store, as well as Barnes and Noble’s Nook. (You can also download it to your computer if you don’t have an e-reader.)
This recipe is so quick and easy, but elegant enough to serve to guests. I don’t usually serve ice cream for brunch, but I figure if Brennan’s can serve Bananas Foster for breakfast, I can certainly serve it for brunch.
- 6 baked puff pastry shells*
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 firm ripe bananas, sliced
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, water and vanilla stir until smooth. Add the banana slices and stir to coat evenly. Allow to cook for 1 minute (don't overcook the banana.) Remove from heat.
- Spoon 1/3 cup ice cream into each pastry shell. Spoon the caramelized bananas over the ice cream and pastry shells. Serve immediately.
Katherine has offered to giveaway one copy of Puff Pastry at Brunch to one lucky Barbara Bakes’ reader. To enter just leave a comment on this post before before Friday, April 20 at noon, MST.
For extra entries:
Leave a separate comment for each entry. Be sure your email address is included with your comment(s). Winner will be chosen randomly and notified by email.
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!