Low Calorie Meals

My sweet niece is watching her weight and said she’d love it if I would post some low calorie meal ideas for her.

Although I love baking sweet treats, I’ve also posted lots of great healthy meals over the last four years. I went through my recipe index and picked out a few of my favorite healthy, lower calorie meals for her to try:

Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls Recipe

Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls - chicken, black beans, corn, cheese, green chilies, and spices wrapped in a thin egg roll wrapper and baked until they’re crispy.

Pasta Fagioli Recipe

Pasta Fagioli - a hearty Italian soup loaded with chicken sausage, beans, pasta, and veggies. It’s a one pot meal that’s quick and easy to make.

Lighter Chicken Parmesan Recipe

Lighter Chicken Parmesan - from the Best Light Recipe cookbook by Cook’s Illustrated, a fabulous Chicken Parmesan recipe. It’s crispy, chessy, healthy and delicious.

Orange Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs Recipe

Orange Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs - fresh orange juice really brightens up the teriyaki glaze on these grilled chicken kabobs.

Kung Pao Chicken Recipe

Kung Pao Chicken – this restaurant favorite is easy and healthier made at home.

Light Creamy Pesto Ravioli Recipe

Light Creamy Pesto Ravioli – made with light cream cheese and 1% milk, but the sauce is so flavorful you’ll never miss the extra fat.

Those are some of my favorites. I’d love it if you’d share your favorites too. Please take a minute and leave a comment (I’d love a link too!) and let me know your favorite low calorie meal(s).

Comments

1. Lana Fenkle says

Kabobs would certainly be my favorite food, and the ones you have here look divine. I might just have to make some for supper tonight.

2. Tristan Barth says

The lighter chicken parmesan is my favorite of these all, but all of them are just superb. I will make sure I try making some of them, especially during my birthday.

I love some low calorie meals myself. Thanks for this. I hate to burn your eyes with my ghetto blog coming from your amazing blog and gorgeous pictures, but I do have a great giveaway you might be interested in. I have very few commenters so your chances are really good! :) Take care and thanks always inspiring me.

That ravioli looks creamy and dreamy. I’ve done Weight Watchers, errr, occasionally so I’m pretty versed in the healthier side. Here’s an easy breakfast recipe that can be made ahead and frozen.

5. Mary Johnson says

I would love to lead a healthy life and these recipes can help me taste some tasty and healthy foods.
    Thanks for these wonderful recipes.

-Mary

Timing is good. I’m just getting ready to launch the I need to lose ten pounds blog post and I’m listing what I’m eating to get there. Your kung pao chicken will be a hit in this house.

7. Jessica Payne says

Even though lima beans get a bad wrap (as a kid, who wanted to eat lima beans?), they are so buttery and delicious and such a great source of protein, and especially yummy in this summertime succotash recipe I have from The Kind Diet book by Alicia Silverstone.
    1 Tbs margarine (earth balance, other buttery spread)
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 cup diced red onion
    1 garlic clove minced
    10 oz package of frozen baby lima beans thawed
    1 cup fresh or frozen corn
    1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
    2 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
    2 Tbs chopped fresh basil
    1 Tbs white or red balsamic vinegar

Heat the butter and oil together in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute for 5-7 min. or until the onion begins to brown. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the lima beans, and saute for 5 min. Add the corn and tomatoes, and saute 1 minute or longer until just heated through. You don’t want the tomatoes to collapse and release their juices. Remove from heat and stir in the parsley, basil, and vinegar. Serve warm or chilled. Great with couscous, rice, tabbouleh, topped with sunflower seeds, or with just a slice of whole grain bread.