A classic chicken pot pie filling topped with a fun basketweave puff pastry crust. It looks difficult, but it’s easy to make using frozen puff pastry and a pizza cutter.
The September edition of Cuisine at Home features a Chicken Pot Pie Casserole with sweet potato and apple topped with a basketweave crust. I loved the idea of a basketweave crust, and my son-in-law had been asking us to put my chicken pot pie on the menu, so I decided to combined the two recipes in to a delicious new chicken pot pie recipe.
I like to make pot pies with chicken and vegetables that I have cooked ahead of time so it comes together quickly. I used the dry poaching method posted on The Kitchn to cook several chicken breasts for this recipe and the Butternut Squash Soup with Chicken and Orzo I made the day before.
If making pie crusts intimidates you, this is a fun, easy alternative. Just remember when working with puff pastry, it’s important to keep it cold. If your puff pastry warms up when you’re rolling it out or braiding it, just pop it in the freezer for a few minutes to keep it cold.
An easy way to weave the crust is to fold half of the strips back on top of themselves, lay a strip down then fold the strips back in to place, alternating every other row.
- 1 package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half (I used fat free)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 2 large potatoes, cooked and diced
- 2 large carrots, diced and steamed until tender
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Roll each pastry sheet into a 9 x 13 rectangle on a floured board or parchment. Cut one sheet in to 9 horizontal 1 inch wide strips. Cut the other sheet in to 13 vertical 1 inch wide strips. (I used a pizza cutter to cut the strips.) On a parchment or Silpat line baking sheet, weave strips into a 9 x 13 lattice pattern.
- Put the crust on the baking sheet in the freezer while preparing the filling.
- Preheat oven to 425º. Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat until melted. Add onion and cook until tender, 3 - 5 minutes. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes until smooth and bubbly.
- Slowly add chicken broth and half and half, stirring constantly until the sauce is thick and smooth, about 2 minutes. Add more or less half and half as needed.
- Stir in chicken, potatoes, carrots and frozen peas. Pour into prepared casserole dish.
- Remove puff pastry crust from the freezer. Put the baking sheet in the oven on the top rack and the casserole on the bottom rack and bake uncovered 25 to 30 minutes until the crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Put puff pastry crust on top of pie right before serving.
More pot pies you might like:
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!