Rigatoni pasta in an easy to make spicy sausage tomato sauce with fresh spinach and topped with freshly grated Parmesan. A great weeknight meal.
Tea and Scones is my Secret Recipe Club blog this month. Margaret obviously loves scones and I found lots of delicious scone recipes I wanted to bake, but she also had lots of delicious pastas. Since I’m always on the look out for a quick dinner my family is going to love, this easy dinner was calling my name.
Her Rigatoni with Spicy Sausage Tomato Sauce, Spinach, and Parmesan recipe was adapted from a recipe in Bon Appetit and was part of her Magazine Monday’s and Presto Pasta posts. She loves cooking clubs and in addition to SRC, she bakes with Dorie, Donna Hay, Modern Bakers and many other fun groups. Definitely stop by and check out her unique take on the challenges.
I served this pasta in one of my new Corningware etch™ Brick Bakeware Set dishes. There is still time for you to enter my giveaway and win a set of your own. Just leave a comment on my Triple Berry Pie post.
This post is also part of #macgrillgive. Romano’s Macaroni Grill in partnership with Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry, is doing something about hunger in America. Did you know that 1 in 5 children are hungry in America. From coast to coast there are millions of children who have no idea where their next meal is going to come from.
Macaroni Grill is enlisting the food blogger community to help end childhood hunger. Simply tag #macgrillgive to a recipe, message or photo of your favorite Italian meal on your blog and Macaroni Grill will donate $50 to connect a child to up to 500 meals. And they’ll share your blog with their 1.2m fans. Learn more at 1 Million Meals.
What’s your favorite Italian meal?
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 lbs ground chicken sausage
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes with added puree
- 16 ounces rigatoni
- 2 cups (packed) fresh baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion; saute until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Add sausage; cook until browned, breaking up with back of spoon, about 5 minutes. Drain drippings from pot.
- Add diced tomatoes with juice, crushed tomatoes, basil and oregano; increase heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain.
- Stir pasta and spinach into tomato sauce. Simmer until spinach wilts, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to large bowl. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
slightly adapted from Tea and Scones
Visit the Secret Recipe Club for information on how to join in the fun. Stop by Tea and Scones for more great recipes. And be sure and check out all the great recipes the Secret Recipe Club members created this month.