A savory version of a German (Dutch) Oven Pancake. Sort of a cross between a soufflé and an omelet with bacon, green onions and cheese.
Authentic Simplicity is my Secret Recipe Club blog this month. Anne’s goal in life is to balance authenticity (keepin’ it real) with simplicity, and she shares great tips and delicious recipes on Authentic Simplicity to help you do the same.
My daughter thought this Savory Oven Pancake tasted a bit like Yorkshire pudding, and thought it would be even better made in muffin cups. My son thought it tasted like a crustless quiche. I thought it was a fantastic idea and a great way to change a sweet recipe to a savory recipe.
If you prefer savory over sweet, this recipe is for you. It’s a quick, delicious recipe that would be perfect any time of day.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon green onions, chopped
- 4 slices bacon, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 thin slices of Gouda or similar easy melting cheese
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Put the butter in a 12? cast iron (or other oven safe) skillet and place pan in the oven.
- While the butter is melting, mix together eggs, milk, flour, green onions, 3 slices of crumbled bacon, salt and pepper in a large bowl. When the butter is melted, remove the pan from the oven, and pour in the batter.
- Bake the oven pancake for 15-20 minutes or until the pancake is puffy and golden brown. Top with cheese and remaining crumbled bacon before serving.
slight adapted from Authentic Simplicity
Visit the Secret Recipe Club for information on how to join in the fun. Stop by Authentic Simplicity for more great recipes. And be sure and check out all the great recipes the Secret Recipe Club members created this month.
Don’t miss out on a new recipe. Subscribe to Barbara Bakes by Email
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!