Easy to make crispy cinnamon-sugar pecan rounds. The sugar on the bottom of the rounds caramelizes and gets crunchy while the inside of the rolls is light and fluffy.
I’ve team up with Red Star Yeast to bake three delicious recipes from the Red Star website. Today’s post is the last of the three recipe.
The Red Star Crispy Cinnamon Rounds recipe is a perfect first recipe for those who are afraid of baking with yeast. The dough comes together quickly in a mixer and you don’t have to roll out the dough to make fancy shapes. You just roll pieces of dough in the sugar mixture, flatten it with your hand and bake it.
I used a pastry scrapper to divide the dough in to pieces and transfer the pieces to the sugar mixture. The dough is a little sticky, so roll it in a little bit of the cinnamon and sugar before you flatten it out. After it’s flatten, coat it again with the sugar mixture.
Another change I made, was to put the cinnamon sugar pecan mixture on a silpat instead of wax paper and put it in a rimmed baking tray to help control the mess. I also rotated the baking trays after 8 minutes.
These are best eaten hot out of the oven while the bottom is super crispy. They’re tasty the next day, they just aren’t as crisp. You can help keep the rolls crisp by storing them loosely wrapped.
- 2 1/4 cups bread flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoon (1 packet) Active Dry Yeast (I used Platinum Instant yeast)
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (I substituted 1/4 teaspoon cardamom)
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoon shortening
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In large mixer bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, yeast, 2 tablespoons sugar, salt and nutmeg; mix well. Add warm water (120-130°F), shortening, and egg to flour mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand or with the dough hook, gradually mix in remaining flour to make a stiff batter. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 45 minutes.
- Prepare Topping: Combine 3/4 cup sugar, pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon; mix well. Pour in to a rimmed baking tray lined with parchment paper or a siplat.
- Stir down batter. Drop batter by tablespoons into sugar mixture; toss lightly to coat. Flatten each piece to a 4 or 5-inch circle, 1/8-inch thick, pressing sugar mixture into both sides. Place on greased foil-lined cookie sheets.
- Bake at 400°F for 12 to 15 minutes until light golden brown. (Do not overbake). Remove from cookie sheets; cool.
slightly adapted from Red Star Yeast
Don’t miss out on a new recipe. Subscribe to Barbara Bakes by Email
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!