Cookie cups made with rich cashew butter, crunchy chopped cashews and filled with a soft, gooey caramel. A decadent combination of flavors and textures.
Since I posted my caramel cashew shake recipe, I’ve had caramel cashews on my mind. These cookies are another great way to satisfy that craving. Cookie cups have become one of my favorite ways to bake cookies. They’re easy to make and you can add more filling in a cookie cup than a thumbprint cookie.
Making the cashew butter in my Twister Jar was quick and easy, but a food processor will work as well. After I melted the caramel, I put it in a Ziploc bag and clipped the corner for an easy, less messy way to fill the cookie cups.
This is one of the best cookies I’ve made in a long time. Definitely give it a try.
- 2 1/2 cups roasted salted cashews
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar*
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 24 cubes soft caramel candy (7 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Coarsely chop 1 cup cashews; set aside. Process remaining 1 1/2 cups cashews in a food processor until finely chopped. Pour in oil. Process until mixture is creamy, about 2 minutes. (About 45 seconds in the Blendtec Twister Jar.)
- Put cashew mixture, butter, and sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in egg and vanilla.
- Mix flour and salt together. On low speed gradually add flour mixture to wet ingredients. Mix in chopped cashews. (Save some to decorate tops of cookies, if desired.)
- Drop one tablespoon dough (I used a #50 scoop) into each cup of a greased mini muffin tin. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until edges are browned, and centers are firm. Remove the cookies from the oven and using the end of a thick-handled wooden spoon make a small, deep well in the center of each cookie.
- Put the caramel and milk in a microwave safe bowl. Cook on high for 1 minute. Stir. Cook on 50% power for 1 minute or until caramel starts to bubble. Stir again. Repeat until caramel is melted and combined with milk.
- Fill the center of each cookie with the melted caramel. Sprinkle chopped cashews on top if desired.
- Remove the cookies to a wire rack to cool. Store in airtight container in single layer.
*For high altitude baking, I reduced the brown sugar to 2/3 cup and added 1 tablespoon additional flour.
Adapted from Martha Stewart Cookies
More cookie cup recipes you might like:
Don’t miss out on a new recipe. Subscribe to Barbara Bakes by Email
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!