Banana pancakes are the perfect way to start a lazy weekend. My whole wheat banana pancakes are light and fully with bananas in the batter and more bananas piled on top.
Every Saturday and Sunday morning I get up early before the rest of my family is awake and make them a scrumptious hot breakfast. It’s my way of enticing them out of bed on the weekend.
The other morning when I walked in to the kitchen the first thing I noticed was the perfect bunch of bananas on the counter. You know that stage that only lasts about one day. When they’re perfect for eating, the green is all gone, and there’s only one or two brown spots on them. I couldn’t let that perfection go to waste, so I decided I should make banana pancakes.
I have a large electric griddle that’s perfect for cooking up lots of pancakes in no time. This recipe makes about 16 pancakes, and that’s only two batches using my electric griddle.
I used my favorite whole wheat pancake recipe as the base. The egg whites are whipped separately and folded in to the batter, so the pancakes are light and fluffy and not dense and heavy like many whole wheat pancakes.
You could use bananas that have turned brown in the batter, but for the topping you want them to be perfect. Unless of course you’re someone who likes their bananas very ripe.
I didn’t take a picture of it, but I couldn’t resist eating my banana pancakes with a little Nutella instead of mable syrup.
And of course while you’re making banana pancakes you need some happy, fun to listen to banana pancakes music playing in the background. Enjoy!
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- additional bananas, sliced for serving
- Preheat griddle to 350º.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, oil, bananas and egg yolks. Add to flour mixture and stir until just combined. Gently fold in beaten egg whites.
- Spray the griddle with nonstick cooking spray. Ladle 1/3 cup batter onto the griddle for each pancake. Cook until bubbles form on top and the pancakes are golden underneath, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook for 1 minute more. Repeat with the remaining batter.
More pancake recipes you might like:
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes, Barbara Bakes
Don’t miss out on a new recipe. Subscribe to Barbara Bakes by Email
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!