I’ve been on an oatmeal kick lately, trying different recipes and different types of oatmeal. This Amish Baked Oatmeal recipe is my favorite so far! Baking the oatmeal changes the texture of the oatmeal and it tastes more like an oatmeal cookie.
You make it the night before and pop it in the oven the next morning. It’s super easy and so delicious! My kids prefer cold cereal in the mornings, so I usually make up a batch, cut it into six squares and then freeze the squares and just warm them up in the microwave each morning. It is a perfect breakfast for me, just a little sweet, and the protein and fiber keep me full until lunch.
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, or 1/2 cup Egg Beaters
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 3 cups oatmeal (regular or quick)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (Craisins)
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- In a mixing bowl combined eggs, brown sugar, baking powder, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well, no lumps. Whisk in butter and milk. Add oats and fruit, stir until combined. Pour in to greased 9x9 baking dish.
- Refrigerate overnight, covered. (If you’re using quick oats, you do not need to refrigerate overnight.)
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 35-45 min, or until set in the middle. Serve hot with warm milk poured over.
Maria, Two Peas and Their Pod, recently posted a Bruleed Steel Cut Oats recipe that looks fabulous and I’ll be making soon.
Carol, at Songberries, has a yummy Baked Oatmeal recipe that doesn’t require making the night before. Hers is a bit sweeter and my husband really liked it.