When I saw the wonderful Chicken Sausage Florentine Rigatoni Jenny posted on Picky Palate, I knew I would make it. Harmons grocery store makes a wonderful chicken sausage that my son, Cole, really loves. So I knew he would love this pasta, but everyone loved it and they all wanted thirds.
I didn’t have all the ingredients on hand, so I just substituted what we had, and it was wonderful. I added some red pepper flakes to spice it up just a bit. Thanks Jenny for sharing the recipe. I love the flavor the fire roasted tomatoes adds. Here’s my version
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground chicken sausage
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 15 oz can Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 t. dried basil
- 1/4 t. red pepper flakes
- 1 lb dry penne pasta
- 1 c. shredded cheddar jack cheese
- 1/2 c. shredded Italian cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add chicken sausage and salt; cook until cooked through.
- Process tomatoes into a food processor until nearly smooth. Add to skillet along with fresh basil. Reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Cook rigatoni according to packaging directions. Drain and transfer to sauce. Transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted.