The rich, dense, chewy texture of a blondie, but these cookie bars are also loaded with chocolate chips, coconut, oatmeal and tart cherries, then topped with red and green M&Ms to dress them up for the holidays.
It’s a deliciously decadent bar cookie filled with all of my favorite cookie ingredients. I cut them on the diagonal to create the diamond shape. Pillsbury has a diagram on how to cut them, as well as other Secrets For Bar Cookies And Brownies.
I created this cookie for a holiday cookie article in the new FoodieCrush magazine. If you haven’t checked it out yet, you need to. It’s so well done, the layout and photography are gorgeous. It’s a feast for the eyes, as well as loaded with fun articles, great recipes, and entertaining and gift ideas from talented food bloggers across the country.
I’m proud to be a small part of the debut issue and wish Heidi much success with her new venture.[/donotprint]
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup dried cherries, cut in half
- 1/2 cup red & green M&Ms, coarsely chopped
- Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Preheat oven to 350º if using a metal pan or 325º if using a glass pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the butter and brown sugar on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Reduce the mixer speed to low and beat in the eggs one at a time mix until well blended. Mix in the vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until blended. Stir in the oats, chocolate chips, coconut and cherries.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan and sprinkle M&Ms on top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. (Don’t overcook.)
- Cool on a rack to room temperature before cutting.
- Optional: Cut bars on the diagonal to form diamonds.