French toast with a bagel twist. Cinnamon raisin bagels soaked in custard, then fried in butter until they’re golden brown and served piping hot with powdered sugar and maple syrup for dipping.
Almost every time I’m at Costco I buy cinnamon raisin bagels. My boys grab them for a quick breakfast as they’re hurrying out the door in the morning, or grab one for a snack when they get home from school. I thought we needed more, but when I brought home another dozen, we still had a dozen in the freezer. So for Sunday morning breakfast I wondered if anyone’s ever used bagels to make French Toast. Of course after a quick Google search, I found lots of fun bagel French toast recipes online and decided to give it a try.
I’m so glad I did. Bagels make a great French toast. Since bagels are a bit chewy, I found it was easier to dip the French toast in the syrup, like you would French Toast sticks, rather than cutting it.
An electric griddle is perfect for making French toast, but you could also make the bagel French toast on the stove in a skillet.
When Kelley, Mountain Mama Cooks, posted her favorite Challah French Toast Recipe, she gave some great tips on making better French toast. I’ve used her third tip, to finish cooking the french toast in the oven, ever since. Baking it for a few minutes in the oven after you’ve browned it on a griddle, helps the French toast firm up the middle. I also like that I can cook all the French Toast and then serve it all at once. That way mom gets to eat this delicious bagel French toast with the rest of the family.
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 Cinnamon Raisin Bagels, sliced in half
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Heat griddle to medium high heat about 350°.
- Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon together until well blended. Pour into a shallow bowl or pie plate.
- Put sliced bagels into the egg mixture, allowing bagel to soak up some of the mixture. Coat griddle with butter and add as many sliced bagels on to the griddle as will fit. Fry until brown on both sides.
- Place the cooked French toast on a sheet pan and repeat until all the bagels are browned. Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 5-7 minutes until bagels are cooked through. Serve with butter, powdered sugar and maple syrup.
More French Toast recipes you might like: