A moist, tender lemon bundt cake topped with a tart lemon glaze, loaded with peeled and grated zucchini so no one will ever no they’re eating veggies.
Every year the ladies in my neighborhood get together in one of our backyards and have an end of summer party with salads and sweet treats. It’s a perfect time of year to just sit and chat and enjoy good food. Last summer I created a Lemon Zucchini Bread recipe. I’ve been wanting to make it again, so when I was asked to bring a bundt cake to the party, I decided to turn my Lemon Zucchini bread recipe in to a bundt cake.
The bundt cake was a big hit. Everyone loved how moist and lemony it was. One neighbor even took a slice home to her zucchini hating husband because she knew he’d love the cake and wouldn’t be able to tell it had zucchini in it.
If you want to hide the zucchini, be sure and peel it before you shredded it. I also gave the shredded zucchini a rough chop so that the pieces would be even smaller. It’s not really necessary, but you definitely could not see or taste the zucchini in this cake. It just adds a tons of moisture and gives the cake some body.
- 2 1/3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup light sour cream
- 3 cups grated zucchini, peeled*
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- yellow food coloring, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour 2 half size or a full size bundt pan and set aside.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt, in a bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, mix granulated sugar and lemon zest until well combined. Beat in oil, and eggs. Mix in vanilla, and sour cream.
- Add dry ingredients and mix just until combine. Mix in zucchini just until combine.
- Divide batter between pans. Bake half size bundts for 40 - 45 minutes; full size bundt for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan, and cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, lemon juice and food coloring if using to create a thin glaze. Drizzle over the top of bundts when cool. (Add more or less lemon juice to get the right consistency.)
More bundt cake recipes you might like:
Oatmeal Raisin Pecan Bundt Cake with Caramel Icing, Barbara Bakes
Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake, Barbara Bakes
Brown Sugar Pear and Cherry Bundt Cake, Barbara Bakes
Caramel Bundt Cake, Bake or Break
Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake, Two Peas and Their Pod