A sweet orange cream cheese cookie dough baked in a mini muffin tin, filled with cream cheese filling and drizzled with semi-sweet chocolate.
Sweet as Sugar Cookies is my Secret Recipe Club blog this month. Last month Lisa had Barbara Bakes for her Secret Recipe Club blog. She baked my Pumpkin Fantail Cinnamon Rolls, so I was excited to pick a recipe from her sweet site this month.
We both share a love of cookie cups. Lisa might even love them a bit more than I do. She has 19 cookie cup recipes on Sweet as Sugar Cookies. Lisa posted her Orange Cheesecake Cookie Cups about a year ago, and I commented then how amazingly delicious they looked.
I love the combination of orange and chocolate and adding in cream cheese adds an extra layer of deliciousness. When the cream cheese frosting sets up in the fridge, it does taste more like cheesecake than cream cheese frosting.
Some of my cookies got a little too brown on the bottom, so be sure and take them out of the oven as soon as you see they’re browning around the edges.
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Cream Cheese Filling
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. butter, at room temperature
- 6 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- melted semisweet chocolate, for drizzling
- Heat oven to 375º. Grease or spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray. Combine orange zest and sugar in a small bowl. Cream the butter and cream cheese until well combined. Add the orange sugar, salt, and vanilla, and blend until ingredients are well combined, but not fluffy. Add the flour and mix just until incorporated.
- Fill each muffin cup with 1 tablespoon of cookie dough. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until edges are browned, the centers will not be completely set. Remove the cookies from the oven and using the end of a thick-handled wooden spoon make a small, deep well in the center of each cookie. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Cream the butter and cream cheese together. Add the powdered sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Pipe the frosting into the cookie cups (I used a ziploc bag with the tip cut off) or spoon it in. Drizzle with the melted chocolate. Put into the fridge until ready to serve.
Visit the Secret Recipe Club for information on how to join in the fun. Stop by Sweet as Sugar Cookies to check out all her sweets and cookie cup recipes. And be sure and check out all the great recipes the Secret Recipe Club members created this month.