The coming months are the perfect time for a steaming hot bowl of soup. This is my family’s favorite soup. My married daughter loves making it in the morning before heading out to work and coming home to the delicious spicy aroma. My boys love it because it is hearty and loaded with lots of tender chicken.
I adapted it from a highly rated recipe on allrecipes. It makes a huge pot of soup and freezes very well. I like to freeze it in individual serving portions, about 1 1/2 cups. This was one of the first recipes I posted when I started my blog but it’s so good I wanted to update it and share it again.
- 1 (16 ounce) jar mild chunky salsa
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped or 2 tablespoon dehydrated minced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (can be added frozen)
- 1 (15 ounce) bag frozen corn
- Put all of the ingredients in a large crock-pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- I usually don't add the frozen corn until the last 30 min. I like to serve it will a little cheese on top, or you could top it with a little sour cream and tortilla strips.
- My daughter's addition: For those of you with smaller crockpots only add half the chicken and take out a can of beans.
My daughter asked me for more great recipes like this that she can make in the morning and come home to a healthy homemade meal all ready to eat, with lots of leftover she can take with her for lunch. So I’m turning to you! Do you have a terrific, easy, make-ahead recipe that you’d like to share? Please leave me a comment with a link to your favorite recipe. If you’ll share them with me, I’ll share them with her, then I’ll blog about some of my new favorites!