This Easy Mini Pizza Recipe is a perfect back to school snack. When the kids come home after school, they’re usually hungry. This quick and easy mini pizza snack is the perfect way to fuel your kids and keep them satisfied until dinner.
Mini pizzas are so easy, fun, and delicious. Here are a few more reasons you might want to enjoy some today:
- Portion control: Mini pizzas are a great way to satisfy your pizza cravings without overindulging. They are small enough that you can enjoy one without feeling guilty.
- Convenience: Mini pizzas are easy to make and can be cooked quickly in a oven or toaster oven. This makes them a great option for a quick meal or snack.
- Variety: Mini pizzas come in a variety of flavors and toppings, so you can choose one that suits your taste preferences. You can also mix and match toppings to create your own unique mini pizza.
- Fun: Eating a mini pizza can be a fun and enjoyable experience. You can share them with friends or family for a pizza night, or enjoy them on your own.
- Budget-friendly: Mini pizzas are often less expensive than full-sized pizzas, making them a great option if you are on a budget.
Ingredients & Recipe Notes
Homemade Pizza Sauce:
- garlic clove minced or pressed
- olive oil
- crushed tomatoes in rich puree
- brown sugar
- Italian seasoning
- dried basil
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 4-inch flour tortillas
- mini pepperonis
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil
The secret to this Easy Mini Pizza recipe is using small street taco flour tortillas as the pizza crust. These cute little tortillas are only about 4-inches wide and crisp up when baked.
You can use your favorite brand of jarred pizza sauce, but I prefer to make my own. I’ve included my Easy-To-Make Pizza Sauce recipe below, but either way works great.
Next you need a great cheese to put on top of the sauce. Shredded Mozzarella & Provolone Cheese is perfect for pizza. One eight ounce package of these shredded cheeses is enough to top 12 mini pizzas.
I bought mini pepperonis and a little chopped fresh basil to finish off the pizzas, but you can top the mini pizzas any way you like. In fact, I recommend letting the kids help you make their own mini pizza just the way they like them. Kids love helping in the kitchen.
It would be fun to change them up and make Mini Taco Pizzas as well. You could spread them with refried beans or taco meat and top them with some Four Cheese Mexican Shredded Cheese. The possibilities are endless!
I baked these homemade pizzas in the oven, but you can use a toaster oven if you’re just making a couple of mini pizzas. You want the crust to be lightly browned and crisp and the cheese to be melted and ooey gooey delicious.
My husband, son and his girlfriend were my taste tasters when I made these and they gave them a thumbs up and said they tasted like regular pizza. I agree that it’s a fun, shortcut way to make a delicious, cheesy pizza!
How to Make Mini Pizzas
First preheat your oven.
Place tortillas on a baking sheet – using parchment paper under your pizzas can make cleanup a bit easier.
Next spread pizza sauce evenly onto each tortilla, leaving a small border around the edge.
Then sprinkle your desired amount of cheese on top of the pizza sauce.
Top each pizza with the mini pepperoni and basil.
Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 8-12 minutes until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is cripy.
Remove the pizzas from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
You can store your leftover mini pizzas (or regular pizza for that matter) in the refrigerator or freezer to enjoy later. Here are some tips for storing leftover mini pizzas:
- Allow your pizza to cool completely before placing the fridge or freezer.
- Keep the air out by wrapping your pizza in plastic wrap, aluminum foil, or placing them in an airtight container. This will prevent air from getting to the pizza which can cause them to dry out or become stale. If storing multiple pizza pieces together, you can also add a layer of parchment paper between each pizza to prevent them from sticking together.
- Once the mini pizzas are wrapped or stored in a container, you can place them in the refrigerator for up to three days, or in the freezer for up to three months.
- To reheat leftover mini pizzas, you can place them in a preheated oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 8-12 minutes, or until heated through and the cheese is melted. Alternatively, you can heat them in a toaster oven or microwave, but the crust may not be as crispy.
Frequently Asked Questions
The baking time for a mini pizza will vary depending on the diameter and thickness of the crust, as well as the type and amount of toppings used. However, as a general guideline, mini pizzas typically take around 8 to 12 minutes to bake in a preheated oven at 400-450°F.
It’s important to keep an eye on the pizza while it’s baking, as the crust can quickly go from perfectly crispy to burnt if left in the oven too long. A mini pizza with a thin crust and a light layer of toppings will cook faster, while a thicker pizza dough crust and heavier toppings will require more time to cook through.
To ensure your mini pizza is fully cooked, check that the crust is golden brown and crisp on the bottom and the cheese is melted and bubbly on top. You can also use a thermometer to check that the internal temperature of the pizza reaches at least 165°F to ensure it’s safe to eat.
The recommended temperature for baking a mini pizza may vary depending on the type of crust, amount and type of toppings, and size of the pizza. However, in general, mini pizzas are typically baked at a temperature of 400-450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Remember to first preheat your oven to the recommended temperature before placing your mini pizza inside. Doing so ensures that the pizza cooks evenly and has a crispy crust. Always refer to the instructions on the packaging of the mini pizza or the recipe you are using to determine the recommended baking temperature and time for the specific type of pizza you are making.
Using a pizza stone to cook your mini pizza can be a great way to achieve a crispy crust, but it is not necessary. A pizza stone retains and evenly distributes heat, which can result in a more evenly cooked pizza. It also helps to absorb moisture from the crust, which can make it crispier. Just make sure your pizza stone is hot before you place your pizza on it.
However, if you don’t have a pizza stone, you can still achieve a delicious, crispy crust by baking your mini pizza on a preheated baking sheet, pizza pan, or a perforated pizza pan. These options will also help to evenly distribute heat and allow for air circulation, resulting in a crispier crust.
Ultimately, whether or not you use a pizza stone when cooking a mini pizza is a matter of personal preference and convenience. If you have a pizza stone and enjoy the results it produces, then go ahead and use it. But if you don’t have one or prefer a different method, that’s perfectly fine too.
Easy Mini Pizza Recipe
HOMEMADE PIZZA SAUCE
- 1 garlic clove minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 14 ounce can crushed tomatoes in rich puree
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- pinch of salt
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 12 4- inch flour tortillas
- Pizza topping: Mini pepperoni shredded mozzarella cheese, fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Place flour tortillas on a rimmed baking sheet. Place a tablespoon of pizza sauce into the center of each tortilla round. Sprinkle cheese on top of the sauce on each tortilla round. Top each pizza with mini pepperoni rounds and fresh basil if using.
- Bake 8 - 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and starting to brown and the crust edge is browned and crisp.
HOMEMADE PIZZA SAUCE
- In a small saucepan, sauté garlic in oil until tender.
- Stir in the remaining sauce ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until sauce reaches desired thickness. Sauce may be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
More pizza recipes you might like: