A tender, cakey chocolate cookie topped with a gooey peppermint marshmallow and covered with a rich, fudgy frosting.
This is a holiday version of the Martha Stewart Surprise Cookies I posted about the first year I started blogging. Katrina, Baking and Boys, posted a version with colored marshmallows that I thought was a really fun idea to dress up the Surprise Cookie for holidays.
I’d been on the look out for Christmas colored marshmallows and I stumbled on fun, new peppermint flavored swirl marshmallows. They are a flatter, jumbo marshmallow, so they cover the entire top of the cookie and you get marshmallow in every luscious bite.
These marshmallows would also be fun floating in a glass of hot chocolate, or as a hidden layer in your favorite brownies.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 30 peppermint swirl marshmallows
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 t. cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup plus 2 T. milk
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, milk, and extracts, and beat until well combined. Add reserved flour mixture; mix on low speed until combined.
- Using a tablespoon or 1 3/4-inch ice cream scoop (#40), drop dough onto ungreased baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies begin to spread and become firm, 8 to 10 minutes. (I think next time I’ll only bake them 7 minutes)
- Remove baking sheets from oven, and place a marshmallow, cut-side down, in the center of each cookie, pressing down slightly. Return to oven, and continue baking until marshmallows begins to melt, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting. Spread about 1 tablespoon of frosting over each marshmallow, starting in the center and continuing outward until marshmallow is covered.
- Place confectioners’ sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk in butter and cocoa powder. Add milk and vanilla, and whisk until well combined.
slightly adapted from Martha Stewart
This post is week 7 of my 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies posts. Be sure and check out all of the fabulous cookies the other 12 weeks of Christmas Cookies (and sweets) bakers baked up for this week.