This is a quick and easy dessert idea for the 4th of July. It’s been posted on several blogs recently and my niece said she saw them in Martha’s magazine. I made them yesterday and took them to my sister’s annual 4th of July BBQ and everyone loved them. They are so festive and fun.
Instead of sanding sugar, I used Wilton Edible Glitter because I liked the darker blue color. I ran out of glitter before I ran out of chocolate and strawberries, so I just sprinkled the glitter on some of strawberries, which I thought looked just as fun. The sanding sugar is probably better for dipping, but it was fun using the glitter.
These are so easy to make, you still have time to serve them at your 4th of July party.
Red, White and Blue Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
- 1 quart large whole strawberries
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Blue sanding sugar sprinkles, or glitter
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Pour blue sanding sugar into a small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium-sized, microwave safe bowl, melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave on 50% power. Heat it in 30 second intervals, stirring between intervals until chocolate is smooth. When chocolate is smooth add shortening and stir until smooth.
- Dip the berries ⅔ of the way up into the chocolate. Dip the tips into the blue sugar, and place on parchment paper. Lay on the paper until they harden, if necessary, put them in the refrigerator until set.
July 4th Cake, I Am Baker
Homemade Marshmallows Kabobs, Hoosier Homemade
Red, White and Blueberry Cookie Tarts, Apron Strings
Fireworks Cookies, The Recipe Girl
Patriotic Layered Jello, The Changeable Table