Renata of Testado, Provado & Aprovado! was our Daring Cooks’ April 2011 hostess. Renata challenged us to think “outside the plate” and create our own edible containers! Prizes are being awarded to the most creative edible container and filling, so vote on your favorite from April 17th to May 16th at https://thedaringkitchen.com!
This is one of the most delicious Daring Cooks challenges I’ve made in a long time. The flavorful, creamy risotto along with the fried Parmesan was absolutely decadent. I stumbled on this Nigella recipe on Claire K. Creations and immediately wanted to try it. I’d decided to create Parmesan bowls for my edible container and knew this would be a perfect filling for a crispy Parmesan bowl.
I may have been extra hungry when making this meal, because every step along the way I kept thinking everything look so gorgeous and tasty and I took a million pictures.
I adapted Nigella’s recipe to a pressure cooker recipe. Making risotto in a pressure cooker is quicker and easier – the rice is very tender and creamy without all the stirring.
I made other changes to the recipe as well. I didn’t puree the vegetables and I added sausage to spice it up a bit. I used a chicken sausage that my local grocer, Harmons, makes that I love, but pork sausage would work well too. Be sure and brown the sausage well before adding it to the pot.
Risotto Bolognese in Fried Parmesan Bowls
- 1 onion peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot peeled and halved
- 1 stick celery halved
- 1 small clove of garlic minced
- handful of fresh parsley
- 6 slices of bacon I used Costco Hormel frozen fully cooked bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb. sausage cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup marsala
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 5 cups beef broth divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups risotto rice Arborio
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan plus extra to serve
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the butter and oil in pressure cooker pot for 2 to 3 minutes. Sauté the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, parsley, and bacon until tender, approximately 10 minutes.
- Stir in rice and cook, stirring frequently, until rice becomes opaque, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the sausage, marsala, tomatoes, tomato paste, milk, 4 cups beef broth, and bay leaves.
- Cover and lock lid in place. Select High Pressure and 6 minutes cook time. After 6 minutes, turn off and use a quick pressure release.
- Select Simmer and stir in remaining 1 cup of beef broth. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in Parmesan and cook 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with an extra sprinkling of Parmesan. Parmesan Bowl Directions
Visit the Daring Kitchen to see the creative edible containers the Daring Cooks and vote for your favorite. Thanks Renata for a terrific challenge.