Two bloggers that I have been friends with for years now have recently started blog events that I thought would be fun to participate in. Since they both had a chocolate theme this month, I am submitting these Valentine Rocky Road Crunch Bars to both.
Sarah, Maison Cupcake, hosts Forever Nigella. Nigella Lawson is one of my favorite cooks. I love when I catch her on TV. Voluptuous Nigella seems so genuine, she’s fun to watch, and creates recipes that are easy to make at home. This month’s Forever Nigella theme is Seduced by Chocolate and “whoever exudes the most Nigella-ness this month will be able to lovingly caress their salad (or anything or anyone they choose) with shiny red melamine serving hands.”
Reeni, Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice recently started Dessert Wars with Christine of The Cupcake Bandits. This month’s Dessert Wars theme is Dark Chocolate and Hearts. A perfect Valentine’s challenge.
The February Dessert Wars prize package includes:
Whisk and cupcake necklace from Moon & Star Designs
The Smartshopper Electronic Grocery List Organizer
Beanilla Sampler Pack of Vanilla Beans
Lenox Personalized Musical Cupcake
1,000 ideas for Decorating Cupcakes, Cookies & Cakes
Endless Vanilla and Cinnamon Extract
Unlimited Layers: A Recipe for Turning Your Passion into Profits
Organic Valley $50 Gift Certificate
Organic Prairie $50 Gift Certificate
Theme Kitchen $50 Gift Certificate
BEKA Cookware Crepe Pan
I found Nigella’s Rocky Road Crunch Bars on the Food Network and it has a perfect 5 star rating. I was taking dinner to a friend, so I doubled the recipe, cut them into small hearts and drizzled them with white chocolate. I would probably give them only a 3 star rating. My husband didn’t care for them. Although now that I type up the recipe I realized that I should have added twice as many marshmallows, which would have been a much sweeter treat that we would have enjoyed more.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) soft unsalted butter
- 20 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 16 ounces plain hard and crunchy cookies (I used Pecan Sandies)
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- White chocolate, optional
- Melt the butter, chocolate and syrup in a heavy based saucepan. Remove about 1 cup of this melted mixture and set aside for topping.
- Crush the cookies in a freezer bag or food processor. You want crumbs and pieces of cookies. Fold the cookie pieces and crumbs into the melted chocolate mixture, and then add the marshmallows.
- Pour into a 13x9-inch pan lined with foil; flatten as best you can with a spatula. Pour the reserved 1 cup of melted chocolate mixture on top and smooth.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours or overnight. Cut into small hearts and drizzle with white chocolate if desired.
If you’re whipping up some delicious chocolate Valentine treats there is still time to participate in these fun events. The deadline for Forever Nigella Seduced by Chocolate: Sunday 20 February, midnight wherever you are. And the deadline for Dessert Wars Dark Chocolate and Hearts is February 28.