Candy Corn Macaron for MacTweets

I got a little carried away at the store today. I had this idea to make candy corn macarons for this month’s MacTweets and I went to the store to buy candy corn to dress up the pictures. When I got there, they had ordinary candy corn of course, but this year Bach’s also had Caramel Candy Corn, and Chocolate Caramel Candy Corn, and Caramel Apple Candy Corn. All of which I decided I should take home and try.

But I didn’t stop there – no of course not. There were also candy cane flavored Dots and candy corn Kisses and I thought I should sampled those as well. (Let’s not talk about the two cute packages of Halloween Lindor Truffles that I bought and have hidden in my closet.)

The reason for my apparent current obsession with candy corn is that I hate them. I think they have a horrible, waxy flavor. My husband and my kids seem to like them, but I think they’re pretty nasty.

But I do sort of think of them fondly. They remind me of this time of year – cooler weather and yummy treats. Candy corn always seemed to be hanging around when you were bobbing for apples or eating pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. They look so cheery and fun and I really do want to like them.

So when I saw the orange pumpkin spice Kisses I thought they would make a perfect filing for a candy corn mac. A candy corn that would be full of fabulous fall flavor, not waxy and bland with an odd smell. Of course, I wanted to make the top white and the bottom yellow. I tried shaping one in the shape of a candy corn, but it looked more like an egg, so I stuck with round candy corn macs instead.

I made the Ottolenghi recipe that works well for me. I used half the batter for white and then added yellow to the other half. If I was making two colors again, I would make half a batch of each because the yellow got over mixed and spread much more than the white ones, making it hard to match them up.

I made the filling by melting about 10 Pumpkin Spice Kisses in the microwave at 50% power for about 1 minutes and adding enough powdered sugar to make a thick filling. This really is a perfect mac flavor for fall and so much better than candy corn candies.

Candy Corn Macaron

Candy Corn Macaron

adapted from Ottolenghi – The Cookbook

Ingredients

• 110gm powdered sugar
  • 60gm finely ground almond meal/flour
  • 60gm egg whites (of 2 eggs)
  • 40gm granulated sugar

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 310 degrees F
  2. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and have a pastry bag with a plain tip (about 1/2-inch, 2 cm) ready. (Setting the pastry bag in a glass while you fill the bag was a great tip I learned during this process.) (Also, I like to double stack the baking sheets.)
  3. Combine the powdered sugar with the almond powder. (Pulse in a blender or food processor if you don’t have finely ground almond meal. A mini food processor works best for this if you have one.)
  4. With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until they begin to rise and hold their shape. While whipping, beat in the granulated sugar until very stiff and firm, about 2 minutes. (To test to see if egg whites are ready, whip until the tip of the peak doesn’t fold over when you pull the beater out of the meringue.)
  5. Carefully fold the dry ingredients, in two batches, into the beaten egg whites with a flexible rubber spatula. When the mixture is just smooth and there are no streaks of egg white, stop folding and scrape the batter into the pastry bag. (You can put a spoonful on a plate to test it. If it slowly flattens out it’s perfect. If it runs, add a bit more almond flour/powdered sugar. If it just stays in a blob, give it a few more folds.)
  6. Pipe the batter on the parchment-lined baking sheets in 1-inch (3 cm) circles (about 1 tablespoon each of batter), evenly spaced one-inch (3 cm) apart.
  7. Rap the baking sheet a few times firmly on the counter top to flatten the macarons. Leave out, uncovered for 15 minutes, then bake them for 15-20 minutes. Give the macs a gentle little shake with the tip of your finger to see if they’re done. You want them set but not firm. It’s better to undercook them.
  8. Let cool completely then remove from baking sheet.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by Zip Recipes Plugin

So you may be wondering what I thought of the other flavors of candy corn – waxy and nasty. Somehow the Kisses nailed the strange candy corn flavor in their Candy Corn Kisses, but at least it was smooth and creamy and not waxy.  The Dots sort of captured the candy corn flavor but in a gummy sort of way.

Be sure and stop by MacTweets on September 20th to see the roundup of long ago & far away memories of the MacTweeters.

Comments

These macarons look amazing. It’s perfect for halloween treats. I have a bag of candy corn in my cabinet that I was going to eat them by itself, but I think I’m going to try your recipe. I know I’m going to enjoy this.

Adorable! I am a candy corn fan but I usually go for the chocolate ones. The caramel apple ones are my new favorite though. I bite off the apple bit, the caramel part isn’t very good :P

Barbara, what an inspiration! Macarons are a challenge at best, then you come up with this great way of featuring them for the holidays! I love this idea. I saw a variation in the movie Kings of Pastry I’ve been wanting to try. Now you’ve set me forward to do it.

Barbara, thanks so much for sharing these awesome Macarons with us. I happen to love candy corn, I am sure these are as amazing to munch on as they are too gaze upon. Such pretty colors :) xo”

5. Tina says

Great ideas. Trying to perfect my macarons but I have difficulty with keeping them of the same size. Can you share where you got that parchment with pre made circle shape? Is it like a Silpat? Thanks.

Oh so cute!! I love the candy corn idea, because like you, I WANT to like them, but really don’t. The “Indian Corn” kind are better than the regular, but still so waxy.

Anyway, I’m becoming more and more obsessed with the ideas of macarons the more adorable ones I see!

7. Maureen says

Beautiful macs! I may have to try them myself.

As for the candy corn? Mix a bag with a jar of dry roasted peanuts then try them again! The sweet with the crunchy salt is heaven in a candy dish!

I’ve never liked candy corn either, but I’m always drawn to the pretty yellow, orange and white candies. Like you, they ALWAYS remind me of autumn. The macarons are so pretty! Makes me want to try to like candy corn again…

Hi Barbara, These are perfectly yummy macs. Love the colors. I’m with you on the candy corn. They are so festive…and yucky!!! I love the idea of melting the kisses…so creative.

Barbara, I normally will not eat candy corn, but the mac version of it is something that I’ll not let it pass…looks awesome, light and perfect :-) I must confess that I did not create the courage to try to make mac…one of this days…

Barbara…you’re starting to seem like an great pro at this. At the rate you’re going…you’ll soon be able to have your own specialized shop ;o)

These were quite original and love the photo.

Ciao for now,
    Claudia

These are the cutest things I’ve seen in a long, long time!!! My husband is addicted to candy corn… me, not so much. Are the pumpkin-spice kisses already on store shelves? I’ve got to try those this year.

So very cute Barabara, great macs. I tried candy corn for the first time last year and have to say I got addicted. There’s something abotu the texture and the crazy sugar-coma inducing sweetness I found appealing. I havent’ dared buy any again because I was gobbling it up by the handful, too dangerous!

I do not like candy corn but when I see it I instantly think fall and Halloween. These macaroons are perfect and they don’t really have candy corn in them which makes me happy. Although I have never seen the pumpkin spice kisses, I will have to keep an eye out for them.

Awesome! I live in the same climate as you (next town over) so I will try your recipe next time and see if it solves my hollowish shell issue that I have gotten with the Tartelette recipe. Amazing macs, as always!

Barbara they are absolutely magnificent. I am in awe – bowing down to you, Mac Queen you! me? I didn’t have so much luck this time around and had to cunningly use them in another dish… Not half as much fun as yours though – well done!

I must admit.. i do like candy corn, but after I eat a bag of them I am glad they only come out once a year!!!
    These are amazingly adorable! I’m so impressed!

Trackbacks