A moist, delicious, better-for-you double chocolate quick bread made with zucchini, non-fat Greek yogurt and canola oil.
I’ve got lots of zucchini in my garden earlier than usual this year because of the warm spring weather we had. My favorite way to eat zucchini is zucchini bread and my daughter requested chocolate zucchini bread.
I decided to reduce the calories in the bread by substituting non-fat Greek yogurt for the sour cream, eliminating one egg, and reducing the sugar and canola oil. You could lighten it up even further if you eliminate the chocolate chips, but I love that extra layer of chocolaty goodness.
My family gobbled up this tasty bread in record time and I promised to make it again soon. Next time I’ll add in some dried cherries for my son.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (6 oz.) non-fat Greek yogurt
- 3 cups grated zucchini*
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 loaf pans (I used 4 mini loaf pans) and set aside.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla until well blended. Add yogurt and beat to combine.
- Add dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Mix in zucchini and chocolate chips coated in 2 tablespoons flour.
- Divide batter between pans. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan, and cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.
- (Bake mini loaves for 30 - 35 minutes or muffins for 18 minutes.)
- *Tip: I like to use a salad spinner to spin out excess water in the zucchini. You could also wrap it in towel and squeeze out excess water.
More zucchini recipes you might like:
Farmers’ Market Tomato and Zucchini Quiche, Barbara Bakes
Zucchini, Bacon and Cheese Fritters, Barbara Bakes
Zucchini Sandwich Cookies, Mountain Mama Cooks
Crust-less Summer Zucchini Pie, Gina’s Skinny Recipes
35 Zucchini Recipes, Two Peas and Their Pod
Don’t miss out on a new recipe. Subscribe to Barbara Bakes by Email
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!