Sweet berries and tart rhubarb baked with a crisp almond, oat streusel topping, served piping hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Fruit crisps are one of my favorite desserts. It’s a great combination of flavors and textures. This Triple Berry Rhubarb Crisp is a variation of my Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp but sized to feed a crowd.
I jump start the cooking of the crisp by cooking the rhubarb in the microwave until it’s tender and thickened to create a sauce for the fresh berries. Then you can cook the berries for a shorter time and they hold their shape better.
My mother-in-law has two large rhubarb bushes in her yard and is always happy to share rhubarb with me. If you can’t find rhubarb or don’t care for it, you can substitute additional berries and lemon juice instead of water for the rhubarb.
If you prefer apple crisp, my Perfect Apple Crisp recipe has great information about how to pick the perfect apples for apple crisp.
This Triple Berry Rhubarb Crisp was a big hit with my fruit loving family. You could skip the vanilla ice cream, but I love the melty ice cream on top of the hot fruit and crisp topping.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups sliced rhubarb
- 5 cups mixed berries
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375º. Spray an 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt in large microwave-safe bowl. Mix in water and rhubarb.
- Microwave on high, stirring occasionally, for about six minutes or until the rhubarb is tender and liquid has thickened. Stir in berries. Spread in the prepared dish.
- In a large bowl combine brown sugar, flour, oats, almonds, cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add melted butter and mix with a fork or your hands until mixture resembles crumbly wet sand. Sprinkle mixture evenly on top of filling.
- Place baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake until filling is bubbling around the edges, and topping is golden brown, about 25 minutes. Cover top with foil if the top is getting brown before the filling is bubbling.
- Let rest 20 minutes before serving. Serve warm from the oven topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.