Tart rhubarb combined with sweet, ripe strawberries topped with a crisp oat and almond crumb topping, served piping hot with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.
It’s rhubarb season and recently when I was visiting my mother-in-law she asked if I’d like some rhubarb from her garden. I had some strawberries at home in the fridge, so I gratefully accepted, and hurried home and whipped up this Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp.
I like to pre-cook and thicken the rhubarb in the microwave before adding the strawberries, so the Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp cooks very quickly and the strawberries stay a little more firm.
Serving crisp with a scoop of vanilla ice cream is a must at my house. I love creating the perfect bite with a little bit of the piping hot, tart fruit, some of the crisp topping, and some smooth, creamy ice cream in every spoonful.
You can bake the Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp in one large baking dish, or it’s also fun to make individual servings for everyone. Just be sure and bake the crisp on a baking sheet to catch any of the fruit that may bubble over the edges.
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups sliced rhubarb
- 2 cups halved strawberries
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 drops of red gel food coloring, optional
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375º. Spray an 9x9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt in large microwave-safe bowl. Mix in water and rhubarb. Microwave on high, stirring occasionally, for about six minutes or until the rhubarb is tender and liquid has thickened. Stir in strawberries, zest, and food coloring if using. Spread in the prepared dish.
- In a large bowl combine brown sugar, flour, oats, almonds, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add melted butter and mix with a fork or your hands until mixture resembles crumbly wet sand. Sprinkle mixture evenly on top of strawberry rhubarb filling.
- Place baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake until filling is bubbling around the edges, and topping is golden brown about 25 minutes. Cover top with foil if the top is getting brown before the filling is bubbling. Let rest 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm from the oven topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.
More rhubarb recipes you might like:
Strawberry Rhubarb Puff Pastry Turnovers, Barbara Bakes
Rhubarb Plum Crumble, Barbara Bakes
Strawberry Rhubarb Meringue Tartlets, Completely Delicious
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam, Mountain Mama Cooks
Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler, Two Peas and Their Pod