Tri-color cheese ravioli mixed with ribbons of summer squash and garden fresh tomatoes sauteed in a brown butter sauce tossed with Parmesan cheese. A fresh delicious, quick cooking meal perfect for summer.
This time of year my garden is overflowing with summer squash and it’s growing better than ever this year because of the warm early summer we’ve had. I’m always on the look out for fun new recipes and ways to use summer squash.
I adapted this recipe from a gnocchi recipe I saw in one of the many cooking magazines I receive each month. It would be fun to try it with gnoochi some time too.
Next time I make this I’ll try salting the squash ribbons to drain off a little bit of the water from the squash before cooking it. The salting directions are at the bottom of the recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 pound refrigerated cheese ravioli (I used tri-color)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small zucchini, very thinly sliced lengthwise*
- 1 small yellow squash, very thinly sliced lengthwise*
- 3 small tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook ravioli until they float, 3 to 5 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until the butter is beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add shallot, garlic, zucchini, and yellow squash and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, salt, and pepper and continue cooking, stirring often, until the tomatoes are just starting to break down, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in Parmesan and parsley. Add the ravioli and toss gently. Serve immediately.
- *Salting: Sprinkle salt lightly on the sliced squash. Put salted squash in a colander over a larger bowl and allow to drain for one hour. After one hour wipe the squash dry.
More summer squash recipes you might like:
Roasted Summer Vegetable Pasta, What’s Megan Making
Cinnamon Zucchini Muffins, Barbara Bakes
35 Zucchini Recipes, Two Peas and Their Pod
Tomato and Zucchini Quiche, Barbara Bakes
Whole Wheat Zucchini Muffins plus 25 fun ideas for Baking with Zucchini, Kalyn’s Kitchen
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!