Easy-to-make, addicting, sweet, crunchy, candy coated cinnamon roasted almonds just like you get at the mall.
I don’t know if it’s every mall in the US, or if it’s just ours, but every year at Christmas time vendors set up and sell freshly made candied cinnamon roasted almonds. The smell from these crunchy, sweet cinnamon glazed almonds fills the entire mall and I can’t resist taking a sample or two as I pass by.
The almonds are a little bit expensive to buy, but pretty inexpensive to make at home. I always keep a big Costco size bag of raw almonds in my fridge for healthy snacks, so I almost always have the ingredients to make this sweet treat any time. Which could be dangerous because it really is impossible to eat just one.
There is a little bit of controversy online about whether you should cook them until the sugar crystallizes and the coating becomes furry or if you should cook them a little longer until the sugar melts again. I like them both ways and I think you will too.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups almonds
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Combine the brown sugar, water, cinnamon and salt in a saute pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add the almonds and cook, stirring constantly, until the liquid evaporates and leaves a candy coating on the almonds.
- Pour the almonds onto a baking sheet lined with parchment or waxed paper. Spread in to a thin layer, separating the almonds if necessary.
- Roast in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
- *You can skip the roasting if you're using roasted almonds.
Today’s post is week 9 of my 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats hosted by Brenda, Meal Planning Magic. Be sure and check out all of the fabulous treats the other 12 weeks of Christmas Treats bakers baked up for this week.
Don’t miss out on a new recipe. Subscribe to Barbara Bakes by Email
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!