Slathering on a spicy bacon rub before grilling chicken kebabs not only gives them a wonderful smokey flavor, it also keeps the chicken moist and tender.
Cook’s Illustrated sent me an email with a link to their Barbecued Chicken Kebabs recipe. What’s unique about their recipe is it’s smeared with spicy bacon paste before grilling.
The flavor of these kebabs was fantastic. Cook’s recommended using chicken thighs, but chicken breasts would have been much easier to cube and put on skewers.
I changed up the spices because I don’t like paprika. Also, Cook’s made their own barbecue sauce, but I took the easy way out and just used my favorite BBQ sauce. If you like to grill chicken, give this one a try.
BBQ Chicken Kebabs with a Spicy Bacon Rub
- 3 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 slices bacon uncooked, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- 10-12 12- inch metal skewers
- In a large Ziploc bag, mix chicken and salt and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Heat grill to high. While grill heats, pat chicken dry with paper towels.
- Pulse bacon in food processor until it forms a smooth paste, about 30 to 45 seconds, scraping down bowl occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, lemon pepper and sugar. Add spices to bacon paste and mix well.
- Using your hands, coat chicken with spicy bacon paste. Thread chicken onto skewers.
- Place kebabs on grill and cook turning occasionally, until well browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. During the last few minutes of cooking, brush kebabs with BBQ sauce and continue to cook until brown in spots and instant-read thermometer inserted in center of meat registers 160 degrees for breasts and 175 degrees for thighs.
- Remove kebabs from grill and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve with additional BBQ sauce if desired.
More BBQ recipes you might like:
Orange Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs, Barbara Bakes
Spicy Grilled Pork Tenderloin, Barbara Bakes
The Secret to Grilled Babyback Spare Ribs, Foodie Crush
Lemon Herb BBQ Chicken, Picky Palate
Grillin’ Recipe Contest Winners, The Pioneer Woman Cooks
Wow…I just bought bacon and chicken…I will try them and let you know how they turned out!! Thanks!
Deeba Rajpal (@vindee)
My word GF, those look SO GOOD! How cool is the idea of that rub. Beautifully captured to Barbara. Mmmmm
Kellie M. Mercie
I like this bacon to a rub barbecue .Nice recipe i want to try this .That rub sounds delicious! nice and spicy . Thanks for sharing this great recipe
Valérie ( Franche-Comté )
Extra ces brochettes
Je te souhaite un beau WE
Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella
Ooh I’m thinking this would remind me of a club sandwich? In the best way of course! 😀 xxx
A great rub! These chicken kebabs look mouthwatering!
Claire @ Claire K Creations
I love a good BBQ recipe. You reminded me that we bought metal skewers for the BBQ a few months ago but haven’t actually used them yet.
This sounds PERFECT for dinner!!! One question, do you have to rinse off the salt after its been in the fridge, or do you just leave it on?
Hi Coleen. Nope I didn’t rinse the salt, just patted the chicken dry, which I assume takes away some of the salt. Good question. Thanks!
OLALA…… these kebabs not just sounds incredible and also looks divine. I know it’s not too good to look at it early in the morning cause I’m going to feel very bad the whole day for not having some of them right now. haha…..
Hope you’re having a great weekend, dear.
Rachel @ Baked by Rachel
Bacon RUB?! Oh my! I have no words. 🙂
Oooh, spicy bacon rub sounds like a genius of an idea! Lovely!
These look so good, I wish I had some right now! I pinned this recipe to try soon– always love to find new delicious recipes for chicken!
Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy
that rub sounds delicious! nice and spicy:) thanks for sharing!
Rocky Mountain Woman
Totally would never have thought of using bacon as a rub. Brilliant!
CJ at Food Stories
Spicy bacon rub sounds fantastic!
Jen @ Savory Simple
a bacon rub????? YES.
The chicken kebabs look amazing! I bet they tasted great with that bacon rub on them.
That rub is amazing! A great idea. I bet those kebabs taste mighty scrumptious.
Definitely trying this one. I would have never thought to use bacon in a rub.
Blog is the New Black
What a great idea to add bacon to a rub! Great for a BBQ! Saving this one.