The Corner Bakery Cafe’s Cinnamon Creme Coffee cake is a “rich, golden cake swirled with ribbons of cinnamon, topped with a crumbly cinnamon streusel and powdered sugar.” Similar to a New York crumb cake, this cinnamon crumb coffee cake is perfect for a decadent breakfast, mid-day snack, or dessert.
When my daughter and I were having lunch at the Corner Bakery, she raved about their Cinnamon Creme Coffee Cake. Of course, I ordered a slice and it is heavenly. Since it’s over $20 for a small cake, she asked if I could recreate it a home.
A quick internet search took me to IgoUgo (no longer on the web) and a copy cat version of Corner Bakery’s signature coffee cake. I used their recipe as a starting point. My daughter thought it needed more cinnamon because it didn’t quite have the oh wow factor of the original. So I’ve doubled the cinnamon in the recipe below.
You’ll need a coffee cake pan, or a tube pan to make this cake. There’s too much batter to make it in a bundt pan. The pan you use can make a big difference in cook times. So cook the cake until it has an internal temperature of 210°F. If the top is getting too brown, cover it loosely with foil.
In addition to the crumb topping, the cake has a streusel layer in the middle of the cake.
It can be hard to spread the batter after you add a streusel layer to the middle of a cake, so I use an ice cream scoop and put dollops of the dough on top of the streusel. Then it makes it easy to evenly spread the dough on top of the streusel.
Another great tip is to place parchment around the cake before sprinkling the powdered sugar to keep the serving platter clean. See the photos above.
This cake is more moist and delicious the day after it’s made, so you may want to make this Cinnamon Creme Coffee Cake the day before you plan to serve it.
Coffee cake is one of my favorite ways to start the day. Be sure and check out all my luscious coffee cake recipes, including two of my most popular streusel-topped coffee cakes, Fresh Peach Coffee Cake and Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake.
Topping and Filling Ingredients
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 2/3 cups flour
- 2 sticks salted butter, melted
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, room temp, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 2 cups sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease and flour 10 inch/12 cup tube pan very well. (Do not use a smaller pan or a bundt pan.)
- Combine first five topping ingredients in a large bowl, add melted butter and combine with a wooden spoon. You want big chunks of the topping and filling so don't over mix.
- Cake: Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium size bowl, set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter, shortening, and sugar until very light. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Mix in almond extract. Add the dry cake ingredients alternating with the sour cream. The batter will be very thick.
- Spoon half of the cake batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle half of the topping mixture over the batter, then the remaining cake batter, then remaining topping. Press the final topping layer into the cake layer very gently, just to make sure it ’sticks’.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 50 - 1 hour and 15 minutes. Cake is done when it starts to pull away from the sides and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Or when the Internal Temperature Reads 210°F.
- Cool in pan for 30 minutes. Loosen sides of cake with knife and invert onto a wire rack and then invert again on to serving platter. Sprinkle with powder sugar to finish.
I made the following high altitude changes in the cake batter: 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 3/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1 1/4 cup sugar. slightly adapted from IgoYOUgo
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 580Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 124mgSodium: 344mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 2gSugar: 34gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information is calculated by Nutritionix and may not always be accurate.
Cinnamon Coffee Cake, Barbara Bakes
Sweet Petals Coffee Cake, Barbara Bakes
Apple Streusel Coffee Cake, That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Classic Banana Streusel Coffee Cake with Maple Glaze, Shugary Sweets