These Hawaiian Baklava Bites are baklava in easy-to-make, easy-to-eat, crispy mini phyllo shells with a fun Hawaiian twist.
When Athens Foods asked me to create a fun, easy-to-make summer dessert using their mini Fillo Shells, baklava bites was the first thing that came to mind. And ever since I came back from Maui in May, I’ve had tropical flavors on my mind. So adding coconut and pineapple seemed like a perfect way to change up baklava.
Using the pre-made mini Fillo Shells, these bites come together really quickly. Using a mini food processor also helps to quickly chop the walnuts and coconut.
The next step is creating a syrup using a small can of pineapple juice, sugar and honey. Then you mix some of the syrup with the walnuts and coconut, pile the mixture in the ready made shells, and then drizzle more syrup over the nuts.
Then you pop them in the oven and cook them for a few minutes until the syrup gets bubbly and sticky and the shells get even more crispy and golden brown.
If you love crispy, flaky, sticky, sweet, baklava, you’re going to love these easy-to-make Hawaiian Baklava Bites.
Hawaiian Baklava Bites
- 1 cup walnuts toasted
- ½ cup shredded sweetened coconut toasted
- ¾ cup pineapple juice
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 packages 15 count, each Athens® Mini Fillo Shells
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small food processor, pulse walnuts and coconut until finely chopped. Put in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine pineapple juice, sugar, honey, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, until mixture thickens slightly.
- Add ½ cup of the syrup to the finely chopped nuts and coconut and stir to combine. Divide the mixture evenly among the 30 Mini Fillo Shells.
- Drizzle the remaining syrup over the filling in the shells. Bake 10 minutes until shells are golden brown and the syrup is bubbling.