A light and fluffy, slightly sweet round loaf of yeast bread with a Hawaiian twist.
Many of you are probably familiar with the round King’s Hawaiian Sweet Bread you can buy in grocery stores. Did you know it’s easy to make at home. You just make the dough, let it rest 15 minutes, shape it in to a round loaf and put it in a pie plate. After another 15 minutes resting time, you pop it in the oven until it’s golden brown and ready to eat.
This recipe is slightly adapted from the Hawaiian Honey Bread recipe on the Red Star Yeast website. Have you tried the Red Star Platinum yeast yet? I love it, especially in recipes like this one where you don’t wait for the dough to double in size before baking it. You’ll get great oven spring. I was amazed how much this loaf rose in the oven.
This bread makes great French toast. I turned my loaf in to deep fried Hawaiian Sweetbread French Toast Sticks. They’re a great way to use this sweetbread.
Hawaiian Sweet Bread
- 4 ¼ cups bread flour
- 4 ½ teaspoons 2 packages Red Star Platinum Yeast
- ⅓ cup nonfat dry milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- ½ cup water
- 5 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 drop yellow food coloring if desired
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, combine 2 ¼ cups flour, yeast, dry milk and salt; mix well.
- In saucepan or microwave safe dish, heat pineapple juice, ½ cup water, butter, and honey until warm (120° - 130°F; butter does not have to melt).
- Add liquids to flour mixture. Add 2 eggs and food coloring. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- Switch to the dough hook and mix in the remaining flour a little at a time, to make a soft dough, adding more or less flour as needed. Knead the dough for 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place about 15 minutes.
- Punch down dough. On lightly floured surface, shape into a round loaf. Place in greased 9 or 10-inch round pie pan. Cover; let rise in warm place about 15 minutes. Combine egg and 1 tablespoon water; brush loaf.
- Bake at 375º for 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pan; cool.
Cinnamon Swirl Brioche, Barbara Bakes
Julia Child’s French Bread, Barbara Bakes
Honey Wheat Sandwich Bread, Simple Bites
America’s Test Kitchen Rustic Almost No-Knead Bread, Judy’s Kitchen