Melt-In-Your-Mouth Buttermilk Pancakes with rich, sweet, buttery Buttermilk Syrup. A delicious, sweet way to start the day.
This scrumptious pancake and syrup recipe is from a great new cookbook, Our Sweet Basil Kitchen, Fresh Twists on Family Favorites, from Cade and Carrian Cheney, the husband-and-wife team behind the popular Oh Sweet Basil food blog.
Carrian and I are good friends and I was excited to receive a review copy of their cookbook. It’s filled with great family friendly recipes that I can’t wait to make for my family.
It was hard to pick which recipe to make first, but Carrian says in the book that every weekend this pancake recipe is the most popular recipe on their site. I can see why it’s so popular. They are tall, fluffy, gorgeous pancakes.
The batter is very thick; not a batter that you pour onto the skillet, you need to ladle it onto the griddle. I like to use a ⅓ measuring cup so the pancakes are all the same size.
Carrian pairs the Buttermilk Pancakes with Buttermilk Syrup. My husband told me the syrup tastes like the syrup you make when you’re making fudge before you add the chocolate.
My son who doesn’t really like pancakes (I know I can’t believe it either), loved these pancakes because of the Buttermilk Syrup. It really is something extra special.
Our Sweet Basil Kitchen is filled with extra special recipes that you’re going to want to try. I am giving away one copy of Our Sweet Basil Kitchen to one lucky Barbara Bakes reader.
To Enter the Sweepstakes Giveaway: Leave a comment on this post before Sunday, March 12, 2017 at 10:00 am, MST.
The giveaway is only open to residents of the US. Be sure your email address is included with your comment. Winner will be chosen randomly, notified by email and will have 48 hours to respond before another winner is chosen. Good luck!
Melt in Your Mouth Buttermilk Pancakes with Buttermilk Syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups of sifted flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs slightly whisked
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted and melted
- Buttermilk Syrup
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon Light karo syrup
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Buttermilk Syrup
- In a large pot or saucepan over medium heat add the butter, sugar, buttermilk, vanilla and karo syrup.
- Heat until everything is well combined and bring to a boil.
- Quickly remove the pot from the heat and add the baking soda, place back over the heat, stirring constantly. The syrup will grow large and threaten to boil over which is why a large pot is essential. If it gets too close to the edge remove from the burner and continue stirring to bring it down. Stir for 30 seconds over the heat (I often just take mine off so I don't risk boiling over) and serve immediately.
- Preheat a griddle to medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the salt, baking powder, baking soda, flour and sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and buttermilk. Drizzle in the butter as you continue to whisk.
- Switch to a wooden spoon and make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour in the wet ingredients and stir until almost completely combined. Please remember, the more you stir pancakes the more flat and tough they will be so please mix until a few streaks of flour are remaining.
- Butter the griddle and scoop ⅓ cup of batter and cook until bubbles begin to form, flip and cook until golden. Serve immediately.
Letty / Letty's Kitchen
Buttermilk syrup sounds delicious. I am thinking to healthify it with maple syrup!
Great! Let me know how it goes 🙂
I am from the south…. the pancakes look delicious!!!! And homemade syrup…. Yum!!!
I was looking for Instapot recipes and came across your site…. glad I did!!!
Thanks Fran! Glad you found me.
Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella
Ooh these looks like a perfect stack of pancakes! And if you say they’re good I know they’re good! 😀 xxx
2 Sisters Recipes by Anna and Liz
These are definitely mouth-watering pancakes and the syrup sounds wonderful! Can’t wait to try it on Sunday morning.
Rocky Mountain Woman
I’ve never made homemade syrup. Now I need to try it asap!
mary jane sampson
Fat Tuesday was last week, but oh, those pancakes are a calling to me..It has rained more and snow and ice in our tiny town than in about 75 years we have only lived here for nearly =40 since 1978..I cannot wait for some sunshine and spring like weather..Love your blog. Would love to win the cookbook this recipe is great! from mjs at firstname.lastname@example.org!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love your recipes! These sound delicious.
its 4 am right now and Im going to have pancakes. Yum
those pancakes look amazing!
These pancakes are calling out to me and I’m answering!! On the menu for Sunday morning brunch for sure! Thanks so much for sharing ; )
SAVANNAGAL You can buy powdered buttermilk in the store by the powdered milk. It’s pretty much what I use in cooking unless I’m making a lot of food, as most recipes need a small amount. I also use it in my breadmaker recipes too. Buttermilk really adds another level in cooking and baking. This recipe is being tried out this weekend for sure!
Those are perfectly gorgeous pancakes and I’d love to dig into that stack right now. I’ve never been happy with the way pancakes come out for me-they’re my kryptonite. Could this be the recipe that will change that? I sure hope so cause I do love them. 🙂
I think the thicker the batter, the better we like them. Can’t wait to try. Really do enjoy both your baking and pressure cooking. Have learned so much here.
I really need to keep a container of buttermilk in my fridge at all times. I can’t wait to make these. Thanks.
These pancakes look amazing! Thank you for sharing the recipe. I can’t wait to try it! :o)
This sounds wonderful! I’ve never made homemade syrup before, so I’ll have to try this!