Melt-In-Your-Mouth Buttermilk Pancakes with rich, sweet, buttery Buttermilk Syrup. A delicious, sweet way to start the day.
This scrumptious pancake and syrup recipe is from a great new cookbook, Our Sweet Basil Kitchen, Fresh Twists on Family Favorites, from Cade and Carrian Cheney, the husband-and-wife team behind the popular Oh Sweet Basil food blog.
Carrian and I are good friends and I was excited to receive a review copy of their cookbook. It’s filled with great family friendly recipes that I can’t wait to make for my family.
It was hard to pick which recipe to make first, but Carrian says in the book that every weekend this pancake recipe is the most popular recipe on their site. I can see why it’s so popular. They are tall, fluffy, gorgeous pancakes.
The batter is very thick; not a batter that you pour onto the skillet, you need to ladle it onto the griddle. I like to use a 1/3 measuring cup so the pancakes are all the same size.
Carrian pairs the Buttermilk Pancakes with Buttermilk Syrup. My husband told me the syrup tastes like the syrup you make when you’re making fudge before you add the chocolate.
My son who doesn’t really like pancakes (I know I can’t believe it either), loved these pancakes because of the Buttermilk Syrup. It really is something extra special.
To Enter the Sweepstakes Giveaway: Leave a comment on this post before Sunday, March 12, 2017 at 10:00 am, MST.
The giveaway is only open to residents of the US. Be sure your email address is included with your comment. Winner will be chosen randomly, notified by email and will have 48 hours to respond before another winner is chosen. Good luck!
Melt in Your Mouth Buttermilk Pancakes with Buttermilk Syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups of sifted flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs, slightly whisked
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted and melted
- Buttermilk Syrup
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon Light karo syrup
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- In a large pot or saucepan over medium heat add the butter, sugar, buttermilk, vanilla and karo syrup.
- Heat until everything is well combined and bring to a boil.
- Quickly remove the pot from the heat and add the baking soda, place back over the heat, stirring constantly. The syrup will grow large and threaten to boil over which is why a large pot is essential. If it gets too close to the edge remove from the burner and continue stirring to bring it down. Stir for 30 seconds over the heat (I often just take mine off so I don’t risk boiling over) and serve immediately.
- Preheat a griddle to medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the salt, baking powder, baking soda, flour and sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and buttermilk. Drizzle in the butter as you continue to whisk.
- Switch to a wooden spoon and make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour in the wet ingredients and stir until almost completely combined. Please remember, the more you stir pancakes the more flat and tough they will be so please mix until a few streaks of flour are remaining.
- Butter the griddle and scoop ⅓ cup of batter and cook until bubbles begin to form, flip and cook until golden. Serve immediately.