Aggie at Aggie’s Kitchen posted this recipe for chicken rolls and I knew I would love it because it has the two flavors I can’t get enough of lately, pesto and sun dried tomatoes. What I didn’t know was that my husband and my kids would also love it. They told me they definitely want me to make this again.
I have to admit I wasn’t very good at rolling these up and Aggie’s look much prettier than mine. A couple of changes I would make for next time that would make things easier for me, are included in my version below:
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 6 tsp of prepared pesto
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- shredded parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tsps olive oil for pan
- Split each chicken breast in to two pieces horizontally and place between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a mallet (tenderizer), gently pound chicken into 1/4 inch thick cutlets. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of prepared pesto over each chicken cutlet. Sprinkle the sun dried tomatoes and shredded parmesan cheese over the pesto. Starting from the small side, roll cutlet being careful to keep filling inside. Seal the opening with a toothpick if necessary. (These can be made ahead up and stored in the fridge for a few hours until ready to cook.)
- Heat 1-2 tsp olive oil in an oven proof skillet and gently place each chicken roll in hot pan. Cook each side until golden brown, using tongs to gently turn rolls. Once all sides of the chicken are seared to golden brown, place oven proof skillet in to preheated 375º oven. If you do not have an oven proof skillet, just transfer chicken into a baking dish greased with nonstick spray.
- Cook chicken in oven for appoximately 20 -25 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked through.
adapted from Aggie's Kitchen
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!