These Chicken Cordon Bleu Melts are a mash up of Chicken Cordon Bleu and a Sandwich Melt. Thin cutlets of grilled chicken topped with Black Forest Ham and Cache Valley Creamery Swiss Cheese Slices grilled on sour dough bread until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted and golden brown.
I’ve teamed up with Cache Valley Creamery for today’s recipe. Cache Valley Creamery has been offering delicious cheese and butter for over 75 years to families in Utah and the surrounding areas. These Cheesy Chicken Cordon Bleu Melts are made with wholesome Cache Valley Creamery Butter and Cache Valley Creamery Swiss Cheese Slices.
As the weather turns warmer, my family likes to spend as much time outdoors as possible. We love get-togethers in the park, camping in the mountains, or just hanging out in the backyard together. This easy-to-make Cheesy Chicken Cordon Bleu Melts recipe is the perfect quick lunch or dinner to fuel your family while you’re enjoying being together.
Making Chicken Cordon Bleu Melts
You’ll want to start with great ingredients – a crusty loaf of sour dough bread, thin chicken cutlets, pre-sliced Black Forest Ham, and of course plenty of Cache Valley Creamy Swiss Cheese Slices. You definitely don’t want to skimp on the cheese on this sandwich. You’ll want that hot melted deliciousness on top.
Chicken cutlets are available at the grocery store, but they’re easy to make at home as well. Just take a boneless, skinless chicken breast and use a sharp knife to cut it in half horizontally.
Butter the bottom side of your bread first before you start building the sandwich. Use a generous amount of Cache Valley Creamy Butter because you want a crunchy, golden brown, toasted bottom to your sandwich.
Then spread Dijon mustard on the top side of the bread. Use more or less Dijon depending on how much you and your family like mustard.
Preheat your grill while you’re getting the ingredients ready. If your grill is pre-heated, the chicken cutlets will cook in less than five minutes. Because the cutlets are so thin you’ll want to flip them as soon as they release easily from the grill.
I have a grill stone that I cooked my sandwiches on once the chicken cutlets were grilled. It’s a great accessory for the grill, but you could also finish the sandwiches right on the grill, or in a skillet or even in your oven.
Cache Valley Creamery and Real Salt Lake Soccer
Cache Valley Creamery is a proud sponsor of Real Salt Lake. If you’re a soccer fan and you live in the Salt Lake area, check out Carnival Real before the April 7, 2018 game and stop by the Cache Valley Creamery booth at the Mini Foot-Golf Course (outside Rio Tinto Stadium), where fans can sample delicious Cache Valley Creamery String Cheese and spin the Cache Valley Creamery Cheese Wheel for a chance to win fun prizes.
My son’s a big Real soccer fan, so I’m definitely telling him to check out Carnival Real, and stop by the Royal Grilled Cheese Cart on the Rio Tinto stadium concourse for their melt-in-your-mouth grilled cheese sandwiches made with Cache Valley Creamery Natural Slices during the regular season home games.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Melts
- 4 chicken cutlets, 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 4 tablespoons Cache Valley Creamery Butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 slices Black Forest Ham
- 8 slices Cache Valley Creamery Swiss Cheese Slices
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped, optional
- Preheat BBQ grill to medium heat. Place a baking stone on the grill to preheat.
- Brush both sides of the chicken cutlets with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the cutlets about 2 minutes on each side. Chicken is done when the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Lay bread on baking sheet. Butter one side of the bread and spread Dijon mustard on the other side. Place a grilled chicken cutlet on top of the mustard. Top each piece of chicken with sliced ham and then 2 slices of Cache Valley Creamery Swiss Cheese.
- Place cheese side up on the baking stone and cook until the cheese is melted and the bottom of the bread is golden brown. Sprinkle chopped parsley on top and serve open faced. Serve immediately.
Note: You can also bake the sandwiches in a pre-heated 350° oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese is hot, bubbly, and starting to brown.
More cheesy recipes you might like:
6 Cheese Italian Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms, Barbara Bakes
Chicken Caprese Burger, Barbara Bakes
Easy Cheesy Tamale Pie, Barbara Bakes
Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta, Taste and Tell
Bacon Double Cheddar Cheeseburger with Caramelized Onions, Foodie Crush