A broccoli slaw salad made from fresh broccoli, sweet carrots, red onions, dried cranberries, and sliced almonds coated with a wonderful, creamy lemon dressing. This is an easy-to-make salad that is perfect for almost any occasion.
I’ve joined a fun group of bloggers to put together a roundup of recipes on the first day of every month. This month we’re doing Easy Side Dish Recipes. After you’ve checked out this easy Broccoli Slaw Salad recipe, be sure and scroll to the bottom of the post for links to all the other great easy side dish recipes!
The Kitchn shared a link to their Light & Easy Broccoli Salad recipe on Facebook and I was intrigued because it used both the flower and the stalk of fresh broccoli.
I’ve often purchased broccoli slaw at the grocery store, but I’d never made my own. My food processor made quick work of the broccoli, but if you don’t have a food processor, you could substitute two packages of ready-to-use broccoli slaw for the broccoli and carrots in the recipe.
The original recipe didn’t include carrots, but I thought the salad needed to be more colorful so I added carrots. I also substitute dried cranberries for the currants in the recipe.
The dressing for this salad is a perfect balance of creaminess and tanginess. It looks like there’s too much of the broccoli flowers, but after you add the dressing, it pulls the salad together.
I serve this broccoli salad at my niece’s bridal shower, along with the Chicken Salad Gourges. It makes enough salad for a crowd. We had more than 12 people at the shower and had plenty leftover. The leftovers were still crisp and delicious the next day, so you could make this salad ahead of time if you needed to.
This easy side dish recipe is also on my Easter menu this year. It’s a versatile recipe that’s perfect for everyday meals as well as holidays.
Broccoli Slaw Salad
- 2 pounds broccoli 1 large head
- 1 cup diced carrots
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- ¾ cup sliced almonds
- Use the grater disk to shred the broccoli in a food processor - use the stems and the blossoms.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded broccoli, carrots, red onion, and cranberries.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, salt, and a generous quantity of fresh pepper. Add the dressing to the broccoli mixture and toss to combine. Taste and add more salt or pepper, if needed.
- Allow to sit for 30 minutes (or an hour in the fridge) so the flavors can mingle. Right before serving mix in the sliced almonds.
More Easy Side Dish Recipes
Fresh Vegetable Salad
Creamed Corn Casserole
Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Orange and Almonds
Orange Scallion Quinoa
Bacon Green Onion Deviled Eggs
Broccoli Slaw Salad
Farmer’s Market Potato Salad
Hummus Roasted Broccoli & Cauliflower
Bacon & Ranch Smashed Potatoes & Brussels Sprouts
Greek Quinoa Salad
Honey Glazed Roasted Carrots
Incredibly Easy Crusty Artisan Bread
Very Best Shrimp Macaroni Salad