This easy Cheesy Tamale Pie recipe is made with simple ingredients you probably have on hand. It’s an easy back to school dinner recipe, perfect for the cool weather nights ahead.
I’ve teamed up again with Cache Valley Creamery to create this Easy Cheesy Tamale Pie topped with Cache Valley Creamery Four Cheese Mexican Finely Shredded Cheese Blend.
Their Four Cheese Mexican shredded cheese is a blend of Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Asadero and Quesadilla cheese. It’s convenient, recipe-ready and delicious! It makes preparing those cheesy recipes your family craves quick and easy.
Cache Valley has been offering delicious cheeses using only the highest-quality ingredients to Utahns and surrounding areas since 1937. The ooey, gooey cheese on this tamale pie makes it a meal your family is going to love.
The tamale pie has corn bread crust, topped with an easy to make ground beef tamale filling loaded with simple ingredients:
- mild green chilies
- black beans, and
The filling is topped with the shredded Four Cheese Mexican blend and finished with a sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley for a pop of color.
The tamale pie recipe makes enough servings that you could put leftovers in a wide mouth thermos and send it to school with the kids for lunch the next day.
Here’s a fun, short video showing how easy it is to make the Cheesy Tamale Pie recipe. Be sure to notice the great, sleek new white package design for Cache Valley cheese. It makes it even easier to spot when you’re shopping.
How to Make the Cheesy Tamale Pie Recipe (Video)
Easy Cheesy Tamale Pie
- 1 package 8.5 oz corn muffin mix
- ½ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ cup onion finely chopped
- 1 package 1 oz. taco seasoning mix
- 1 can 14.5 oz diced tomatoes in puree
- 1 can 4.5 oz chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 can 14.5 ounces black beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups Cache Valley Four Cheese Mexican shredded cheddar cheese blend
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the corn muffin mix, milk, and egg just until blended—the batter will be lumpy.
- Coat the inside of a large 12-inch cast iron skillet with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Spoon batter into cast iron skillet. Set aside.
- Add ground beef to a second skillet and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to break up the meat, until the beef is no longer pink. Remove beef to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add remaining tablespoon of oil and onion to the skillet, sauté until onion is tender, about 3 minutes. Add ground beef and seasoning packet and sauté 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, chilies, beans, and corn. Spoon mixture gently on top of the cornbread batter in the cast iron skillet.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of tamale pie. Cover with foil and bake 25 minutes. Remove foil and broil until cheese begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle parsley on top before serving.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Cache Valley® Creamery , but all opinions expressed are always my own. You can also find Cache Valley Cheese on Facebook.
More cheesy recipes you might like:
Chicken Caprese Burger, Barbara Bakes
6 Cheese Italian Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms, Barbara Bakes
Bruschetta Turkey Burgers with Zesty Avocado Spread, Barbara Bakes
Creamy Cashew Chicken Puffs, Barbara Bakes