I’ve seen lots of yummy looking recipes for Carne Asada Tacos online lately. So I decided it was time I try them and I decided to make the recipe in the L.A. Times that is used at Dodger Stadium. It called for skirt steak, but I was unable to find skirt steak so I substituted flank steak.
I had never cooked flank steak before and was amazed at just how tender and delicious it was, cooked to medium and sliced thinly. I served the meat on whole wheat flour tacos with fresh cilantro and homemade salsa. Although I still prefer my shredded pork tacos, this was a delicious change of pace.
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup tomato purée
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 pounds skirt steak
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix the chipotle, garlic, onions, cumin, green onions, cilantro, parsley, tomato purée, lime juice, salt, pepper and oil. (I used my immersion blender to puree it.)
- Rub the marinade all over the skirt steak, then place the steak in a large, resealable plastic bag with the marinade and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the bag from the refrigerator one hour before grilling to allow the steak to come to room temperature. .
- Heat a grill over medium-high heat. Grill the steak about 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium rare. Set the steak aside until cool enough to handle, then cut it into a half-inch dice or slice it against the grain into 1-inch slices. Serve immediately.
From Joseph Martin, executive chef, Levy Restaurants at Dodger Stadium. At the stadium, the carne asada is served with corn tortillas, pico de gallo, tomatillo sauce, chopped onions, chopped cilantro, grilled whole serrano chiles and slices of lime.
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!